Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,263   Posts: 1,680,754   Online: 753

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfotec DD (not DD-X)

I was gifted a 1 gal jug of Ilfotec DD developer (not sure of it's age). I know it's for machine processing with replenishment and normally requires a "starter" solution. But the data sheet does have instructions for use without the starter chemical.

Tried a clip of HP5 to make sure it was still good. Used the times for iso 400, but I exposed at 320 as I normally do. The negs seem a slight bit dense but quite usable. I can dial in times based on my agitation procedure.

Any information on use in small tanks? And in particular, capacity? Based on the data sheet I should be able to reuse with a slight increase in development time. But not sure if this would apply to use in small tanks.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the same boat as you with a gallon of DD on my hands. I think using the developer replenished is probably best, with maybe a pretty large working solution, like two liters or so. Replenish 50ml fresh developer per 135-36 equivalent.

Today I'm trying some HP5+ and I'm going to start at 75 degrees F, for 7 minutes, with agitation 5s every 30s. I will season the stock developer with some rolls of film I have lying around, 5 rolls for 10 minutes with the lights on. I'm going to use a 2 liter working solution, and see how it goes. I'm sure the replenished developer will be beautiful.

If you dilute the developer I would use maybe 1+4 like DD-X and discard. Use the same starting times as DD-X, and adjust as needed.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curious to see what your experience is. I've been using 7 min at 70 deg F with 1:4 dilution. But I would expect that replenishment - which is the intended approach with DD - should be better.

FWIW, here's my personal "data sheet" (however I've only tested with HP5+):

Times at 70oF:
    Film Minutes Film Minutes
    Ilford HP5+ @ 400 7.0 Kodak Tri-X @ 400 7.5
    Ilford FP4+ @ 125 8.5 Kodak Tmax 400 @ 400 8.5
    Ilford PanF @ 50 5.5 Kodak Tmax 100 @ 100 7.5
    Ilford Delta 100 @ 100 9.5 Kodak Plus-X @ 125 8.0
    Ilford Delta 400 @ 400 7.0 Fuji Neopan 400 @ 400 7.5
    Arista EDU 400 @ 400 9.0 Fuji Acros 100 @ 100 9.0

Replenishment:
    36mm 36exp 50ml
    36mm 24exp 35ml
    120 50ml
    2x3 x 4 20ml
    4x5 x 4 50ml
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin