Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,577   Online: 1227

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If it means anything, I get just as many visits from Europe than from the US on my ULF photography website, so I don't think that there is less of a market for ULF film in Europe than in the US...

PJ
    Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To be fair, Ilford gave European ULF-ers the same opportunity to stand up and be counted - I don't remember the survey being restricted to the US only. I kept mum because I have an oddball format (12x15) and until I know my camera and holders are working properly I'll be saving money with paper negs and the cheaper E.European film. So I knew I'd be missing the boat anyway this time round.

I have no problem with ordering film from the US - I do it all the time in 4x5. But it would be nice to have a supplier within the EU.

In the end though, ULF is a niche within a niche. Ilford can't afford to be sentimental, and the most active buyers of film do seem to be in the USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The poll did not specify which country it wanted votes from. I voted and made it clear I resided in the UK.

I also order film from the US (J&C). However, I would not want to pay for the shipping and import duties into the US, and the return shipping and import duties + vat, back into the UK.

I don't expect Ilford to be sentimental, they are a business there to make profits for their shareholders. However, I feel it would be very short sighted of Ilford to ignore the small(?) profit to be made by supplying Europe with ULF film. The goodwill would ensure that we ULF users would continue to buy their other materials.

Barry
    UK

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson
    The poll did not specify which country it wanted votes from. I voted and made it clear I resided in the UK.

I also order film from the US (J&C). However, I would not want to pay for the shipping and import duties into the US, and the return shipping and import duties + vat, back into the UK.

I don't expect Ilford to be sentimental, they are a business there to make profits for their shareholders. However, I feel it would be very short sighted of Ilford to ignore the small(?) profit to be made by supplying Europe with ULF film. The goodwill would ensure that we ULF users would continue to buy their other materials.

Barry
    UK
    Barry

I understand your frustration, if a product was made in my country I'd expect to be able to buy it there too.

With all the new arrangements going on has anyone in the UK thought to ask Ilford if they would supply it ex factory, where you would have to pick it up in person. I can't see how that would upset UK or US distributors.

just a thought

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume
    Barry

I understand your frustration, if a product was made in my country I'd expect to be able to buy it there too.

With all the new arrangements going on has anyone in the UK thought to ask Ilford if they would supply it ex factory, where you would have to pick it up in person. I can't see how that would upset UK or US distributors.

just a thought

Clayton
    Hi Clayton,

I guess my frustration is showing! I agree and I would happily drive the 240 miles or so to collect the film.

I suppose it's still early days and the possibility of a European supplier is still there? I'll see what Ilford say when they return from their holidays.

Ilford has consistantly said they would not deal directly with the public, so I suspect any chances are through an existing Ilford dealer. I will speak to Silverprint and Robert White after the holidays. Just maybe?

Regards and all the very best for the New Year.

Barry

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Hi Barry

good to hear from you again!

I can understand Ilford not wanting to deal with the public but I would also think a niche within a niche may require a different approach. I find it hard to believe they treat their fellow countrymen this way.

Maybe through Apug you can convince them the numbers are there to do it or at least use a local distributor.

have a great New Year

Clayton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley
    Dear Apug Members,

The ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology ULF announcement for North American customers is at :

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...?TOPIC_ID=7037

Simon@ILFORDphoto
    Simon,

Any reason you will not be offering 4x10 film as part of this program? Surely, there are more 4x10 shooters out there than 5x12, 6.5x8.5, 7x11, etc. Those are all wonderful formats, but few, if any, cameras are being made in those sizes these days. There are at least four brands of 4x10 cameras currently on the market (with possibly another one showing up in 2006). 4x10 holders are more readily available new (and for a lot less money) than the other "non-standard" formats. So, why no 4x10 Ilford film? Ilford used to offer FP4+ and HP5+ in 4x10 as standard catalog items. I know I can cut down my own from 8x10 (I could also cut down my own 7x17 from 14x17), but I'd much rather buy it pre-cut to save time and reduce dust problems.

Kerry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kerry,

I asked the same question - and never got a clear reply - just information from the last time (I guess many years ago) when 4x10was aregular item.

I do shoot the other formats you mentioned... I hope tha Ilford/Harman opt to continue serving the weird sizes (7x11, 5x12 and 6.5x8.5) and add 4x10.

I have placed my order for the 3 formats and I hope that we can indeed continue to get film cut to rder every 6 mos or so. 4x10 would be the cheery on top. Let's see if we get a reply...

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve,

In addition to 4x10, I'm about to start dabbling in 7x17. Just today, I traded a lens to a friend for two 7x17 film holders and a box of 7x17 HP5+, I now have some lenses, film, holders and half a camera (I'm "building" my own 7x17 based on an ARCA-SWISS monorail - similar to my 4x10, but super-sized) for 7x17. All I need now is a 7x17 back and bellows and I'll be in business. I'd really like to standardize on one black and white film for both 4x10 and 7x17. Since I have the HP5+ in 7x17 I'm going to give it a try, but I think I may actually prefer FP4+ (I shot FP4 years ago in 11x14 and really liked it). It does seem ironic that I will be able to get both these Ilford films in 7x17, but not 4x10 - especially since they were once standard catalog items in the 4x10 size.

Besides Steve and I, are there any other 4x10 shooters out there who would like to see Ilford add the 4x10 size to this production run?

Kerry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kerry,

I shoot other formats besides those listed... I guess I am a format junkie... and there isn't an anonymous group or meetings to cure this ill ;-)

I shoot 7x17 and FP4 I am looking forward to having access to all these sizes in FP4... I am however disapointed that 4x10 has been excluded... considering that it is a camera in production today, and your two recent articles etc...

Let's see if Ilford/Harman hears others voice their desire for 4x10 as well!

Cheers!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    Steve,

In addition to 4x10, I'm about to start dabbling in 7x17. Just today, I traded a lens to a friend for two 7x17 film holders and a box of 7x17 HP5+, I now have some lenses, film, holders and half a camera (I'm "building" my own 7x17 based on an ARCA-SWISS monorail - similar to my 4x10, but super-sized) for 7x17. All I need now is a 7x17 back and bellows and I'll be in business. I'd really like to standardize on one black and white film for both 4x10 and 7x17. Since I have the HP5+ in 7x17 I'm going to give it a try, but I think I may actually prefer FP4+ (I shot FP4 years ago in 11x14 and really liked it). It does seem ironic that I will be able to get both these Ilford films in 7x17, but not 4x10 - especially since they were once standard catalog items in the 4x10 size.

Besides Steve and I, are there any other 4x10 shooters out there who would like to see Ilford add the 4x10 size to this production run?

Kerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin