Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,876   Posts: 1,520,257   Online: 1128

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    Simon, I asked several times for a run of HP5 in 3.25 x 4.25, but it was not included in the offering. I would have committed to buy 20 50-sheet boxes, and I know of at least one other photographer who would have bought substantial quantities of this size. Sanders
    As Rob noted it as offered, but I decided to cut down 4x5 instead at what I remember as being a cheaper route.

Btw, was there ever a poll on how many people are shooting ULF?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wonder, if the packaging is the problem in producing low volumes of ULF film? What if a standard box of say 16x20 dimensions was used for all ULF down to 11x14, then an 11x14 box was used for all sizes down to 8x10? Would this be enough economy to allow orders to proceed? Since the film is in a foil pack inside, I don't see any downside to having oversized boxes, if that is the only way to get the film. I would be curious to Mr. Galleys thoughts on this.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I have not placed an order for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 because of a current lack of available film holders. As this situation is about to change, I would be happy to order some if it will help make the minimum quantity. If the quantity burden is too great, I'll have to pass for this year.
    I placed an order for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, but just received two boxes from the Wynit stock (not complaining, I can give this camera a shot now!) I had only ordered 5 of this size, since I decided I wanted some 5x12 also.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Let me start by saying I don't have a horse in the Ilford race. I shoot TMY in ULF. With last year's TMY order Kodak shipped my 7x17 in 16x20 boxes. Do I wish they had used 7x17 boxes?...YES, but I understand that the marketing folks hadn't let the processing folks know the details, thus 16x20 boxes.

Any how, when J&C announced their "moving" sale, I took advantage and purchased a significant quantity of 7x17 TMY. Recently J&C inquired as to folks interest in a new ULF order for TMY. I let John know that since I had ordered so much last year, I would not be ordering TMY in 7x17 this year. My freezer if full, and I probably have 5+ years on hand.

My point is that I can't be alone on this. Folks likely stocked up on Ilford ULF sizes during the J&C sale and thus don't need any for a while. I commend Ilford for their efforts to support us, and can understand why orders might be down from last year. I think a lot of us stocked up the freezers with ULF to last us a few years.

We are all in this ULF situation together and I let John @ J&C know that I didn't expect to order ANY ULF TMY this year, but if he needed help to make a minimum order of 7x17, to let me know and I would pitch in to help make it happen.

Best to all of you,

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked several times for Pan F in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and Pan F or a slow speed 5 x 7. Why are these and other non ULF requests rebuffed or just blown off? And there is a time to photograph and a time to sit in front of the computer and do business. There isn't a manufacturers rep. who comes to the local camera store any more, in fact there isn't a local camera store any more. It's right here that the rep. comes and right here that the questions are asked. Some one will say that Adox / Efke has those speeds. I say that all of the ULF films are available from other manufacturers, what's the matter with those brands?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been stated NUMEROUS times that the Pan F emulsion is not compatible with the sheet film base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    It's been stated NUMEROUS times that the Pan F emulsion is not compatible with the sheet film base.
    Don't bother him with facts Terence... The guy has a bee in his bonnet over Ilford and takes the opportunity to be tedious every time their name gets mentioned. If they gave away free one-ounce gold bars with every pack, he'd still moan that it was only 22 carat gold... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bob and I thought you were a great guy. Do a search, a lot of people want a slow speed, Pan F like emulsion in 4x, 5x, and even 2x3, that's inches. And believe it or not they would like Ilford to make it. I don't care if Ilford can't put Pan F on sheets. They can put slow emulsions on sheets. Its been done in the past and present. Check Adox/Efke, Rollei and others they are producing it.

Another thing about film. The ULF film is available in all sizes from other manufacturers not just Ilford so why are so many whining, please Ilford make something for me?

When the non Ultra Large Format users ask for something they are totally blown off. What are the ULF photographers who don't have AZO or a silver chloride paper to contact print on using; Ilford Silver Chloride paper? If Ilford cares so much why hasn't it stepped up and produced some contact printing paper?

Here is the tire, in one size, and you can find the car elsewhere.

Why is there a poor level of orders? Maybe because the company is doing something wrong, like not listening to the customers, it's expensive when you are disconnected. Maybe ULF has reached its peak and now is the time to step down.

I admit I am a hard sell, I can see and smell the BS thousands of miles away. The business environment today can't succeed for very long without honesty. If something can't be done it would be in the best interest for the company to explain in clear and honest words why.

If your community water was going to be changed and something was going to be added you would want a complete and clear explanation wouldn't you?

Bob maybe you should use the ignore button like Simon, and believe me I am not smiling.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Thanks for all the feedback on ULF, ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology will do what it always does, listen to its customers and find a solution, which I will post in due course, I have to speak to people internally and in the US.

As to PAN F+ emulsion in sheet film, yes people are passionate about it, we would like to have it in the range and make it.... but it really is a bridge too far : Why, I will explain, once again :

1) Our sheet films are coated on a different base
    2) R&D for transfer of a PAN F+ film emulsion to that base
    3) Test coatings on a pilot coater
    4) Manufacturing test coatings
    5) Actual coating ( approx minimum 5,000 sq mtrs, minimum emulsion mix )
    6) Testing
    7) QC pass / fail ( if it fails its destroyed )
    8) Finishing to sheet
    9) Technical service : Evaluation Processing and sensitometric testing
    10 ) Sales and marketing costs / translations etc
    11) Cost of stockholding x 24 months

Forecasted sales ( Worldwide ) per annum all sheet film sizes between 1,000 and 1,250 sq metres ( approx 3,100 to 3,875 packets of 5" x 4" in 25 sheets ).

Within our quality regimes we could finish safely twice at a years interval from one coating, therefore we would use maximum 2,500sq metres.

Other 2,500 sq metres would be DESTROYED ( but silver recovered )

Additional cost of cold / controlled storage of parent roll

I have worked out the approx retail cost ( + or - 10% ) of 25 sheets of 5" x 4excluding any local taxes so that we would recover our total spend ( but make no profit whatsoever) in 2 years from the date of shipping the first order :

$ 113.07 per 25 sheets of 5 x 4

This is why we do not, and will never make PAN F + in sheet film : No one would buy it at that price.....whether they loved it or not

I hope that explains the situation :

With Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Simon, My guess is that folks have 'stocked' up in the past. Two thoughts - minimum per person order and VOLUME discounts per order to ensure a minimum and encourage larger orders..... If your total minimum in a certain sheet size is not reached, then run it six months from now and don't cut it now.....or run it once a year, stock it until it runs out (probably cheaper to run it once per year anyway and run more at that time.....

I appreciate your efforts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin