Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,127   Online: 1159

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dear Simon,

there are many photographers who don't read APUG very much: the calibre of comments that this thread has attracted is one reason why I don't love APUG anymore than I should.

I only came to discover the Ilford ULF thread through the www.largeformatphotography.info thread, and then this one. Is it possible that the exposure of Ilford's ULF thread isn't reaching practitioners of ULF work? I haven't seen any notice of the ULF venture in written magazines (Viewcamera etc). I guess I'm just not sure that the internet is the best medium to express this venture although it is a good one, if Ilford have pulled 87 orders from the internet solely.

Please can someone direct me to how to place an order. I've read through the threads and I still don't understand. Do I pre-order and pay at the same time? Where?

Good luck Simon - I'm a little appalled at Kurt's reaction and I hope that ignorance can excuse his attitude especially having seen what you guys at Harmon have had to go through to pull Ilford out of the dire circumstances it was in just a few years ago. Needless to add - how Harmon have protected the future of local employees in England rather than treating employees as Kodak has done.

The quest for ULF is going to lead me to a whole plate format only - and unfortunately that is already a film niche which has been cornered by Fuji (due to the oriental support for the classical whole plate format) and the Eastern European market (Efke) - both of whom appreciate the classical format which has somewhat been abandoned in England. I would like to see a support for the whole plate format in England again, and I guess, supporting Ilford in that means I should become internet savvy and start learning how to do things like order Ilford ULF....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    I guess I'm just not sure that the internet is the best medium to express this venture although it is a good one, if Ilford have pulled 87 orders from the internet solely.
    I agree that it would have been good to have advertised the special order more widely, and perhaps it was, but just to clarify the situation--it seems that there were orders for many more than 87 boxes, but they were filled by overstock from the last special order.

Perhaps if Wynit could keep a web page listing what they have in stock and approximately how much is available, there might have been orders for that stock all along. I suppose the overriding and quite reasonable assumption most odd-sized film shooters have is that the film isn't available except by special order, and had they known that it was in fact available, they would have been purchasing it just like the regular sizes, and Wynit would learn where the consistent demand is and what sizes they can stock in addition to the prepaid orders.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Curt,

Yes we have been looking at a 25 asa film based on DELTA controlled crystal growth technology, is it a full project yet ?: No , would it go to sheet film ? : No idea. We have received feedback from Apuggers on lots of product ideas ( and from our website ), I am hoping to post in the next couple of weeks an update from our marketing director.

As to your comments re our business being a 'vanity' business, and not "wholly rounded as KODAK once was" , you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and I respect that, and your right to express it, but I maintain that some of the most memorable and important images, even World changing images.. ever made, have been made on ILFORD Film and printed on ILFORD paper, which is why it is a huge source of pride ( not vanity ) that I work for and passionately believe in this company and the products it makes.....

As to the comment re KODAK, I agree, fabulous products, fabulous history, great and innovative people, anyone who has read my posts will see that I value the choice and variety available from all manufacturers, not just my own...why... because this is what will ensure silver based photography expands and touches new exponents of the art and will bring us more advocats in the future.....

Speech over...I feel better
    Thank you for the clear answer Simon. This whole thread has been over blown in my opinion. I have been a Kodak user not because I choose them but because I went to Brooks Institute of Photography and Art Center College of Design, nearly thirty years ago now. I have a degree in Photography and Graphic Design and these schools required, not suggested, that certain materials be used. At Brooks we started off with Kodak Super XX film in 4x5 size. No other brand was to be used. Brooks was a "Kodak" school at the time. A slow speed film at the time was of course Panatomic X.
    Currently only Adox/Efke has a slow speed sheet film. I hoped some day that Ilford would make a slow speed film similar to the older films but of much higher quality than the Adox etc. films. That's why I pushed so hard to get the idea across. It's not a matter of US or GB as I think some have taken personally but not outright admitted it. There is no hidden agenda or animosity here. I was taught by a tough taskmaster who believed that good could be great if enough work, thought and effort was made. That's all this is about, having a fine sheet film for enlarging.

Regards,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I agree that it would have been good to have advertised the special order more widely, and perhaps it was, but just to clarify the situation--it seems that there were orders for many more than 87 boxes, but they were filled by overstock from the last special order.

Perhaps if Wynit could keep a web page listing what they have in stock and approximately how much is available, there might have been orders for that stock all along. I suppose the overriding and quite reasonable assumption most odd-sized film shooters have is that the film isn't available except by special order, and had they known that it was in fact available, they would have been purchasing it just like the regular sizes, and Wynit would learn where the consistent demand is and what sizes they can stock in addition to the prepaid orders.
    This is a good suggestion!
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    <SNIP>

Please can someone direct me to how to place an order. I've read through the threads and I still don't understand. Do I pre-order and pay at the same time? Where?
    Hi,
    Details, including a list of dealers, are included in the first post in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum146/...l-details.html Payment details and price would be up to the dealer with whom you chose to place your order. Full disclosure: I work for one of the dealers.
    Best.
    Celac

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Only reason for a non-ULF'er like me to post here is to let you folks know that Simon has come up with a "Solution" that will make you all very happy.

See his new thread and have fun folks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt,

There is a funadental principle here..........

If Ilford does not make money WE, the photographic community, will lose them and their products. I might want a lot of things. I might go so far as to request them, but thats as far as it goes. The actual demand for a V slow film in sheet is pretty low I would imagine. When 10x8 Fp4+ is available, there really is not that ,much need for an ISO 25 film in sheet!

Simon G has worked very hard to engage and accommodate us in our requests and I feel that if anything, we have let HIM down with a low level of orders for ULF film; one which seems to fall well below the real demand.

Ilford does not owe any of us anything. They are a business. There is no point comparing Ilford now with what Kodak used to be. no point at all.
    Lets not bite the hand that feeds us and fully support what can be done!

I am astounded that these ULF sizes are still supported and we should be grateful for that. If you shoot 5x4 and want to print huge prints, there is always Delta 100 which in the righ dev is VERY fine grained. If this is not the look you are after, by all means buy a 10x8 camera and shoot Fp4+....and develop in perceptol if you like! You could even do what Clyde Buthcer does and enlarge 16x12 or whatever it is!

Its like being angry that Ford does not produce a 7 litre engine for the Ford Focus! If I want that you have to drive a Viper!

The fact that we are providing such direct input for Ilford (outside of the normal supply and demand feedback) is remarkable I think!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read in another thread that Ilford would be including 3x4 sheet film with the ULF - if that's true, I want to order. That size does not seem to be available anywhere else now that J&C is gone. If Ilford will be selling 3x4, please post info on how to order...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dianna, Ilford is taking orders once a year for these special sizes. The order period for this year is already closed. The US distributor, Wynit, may end up with some extra stock on some of the other sizes. Unfortunately, it appears that 3x4 was lost in the shuffle this time as word did not get out soon enough, and I believe that there were not enough expressions of interest in advance for Ilford to justify the expense of preparing a cutting mask and setting up a stock number for that size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Regarding ' Next Year ' or 'next make' of ULF , I have read all your comments and suggestions and will try and ensure we have it run smoother, one obvious one is that we communicate to the whole ULF community better, we cannot do with advertising, but Press Realeases should be OK ( minimal cost )

Anyway, I will keep you all informed

Regards & again, many thanks to all those who ordered and value ILFORD ULF film.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited:

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin