Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,559   Online: 832

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Ilford,

I am user of ULF, I did not make an order for this year but your commitment to support us is an example to everyone. When my stocks gets smaller, I will definitely order some film from you.

As your commitmnet to us is open and sincere, I will trully do the same, even price is significantly higher than other brands.

Cheers,
    Peter Hruby
    LF Silver Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't a roll of 220 count as ULF cut film? It's the ultimate panoramic format! I want my 220!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The best way I knew how to say "thank you" was to increase my 7x17 order to 150%. At that point Budget overtook Gratitude. You all have met my wife Budget havenít you? I didnít think I needed to introduce her.

John Powers

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    ... Every time I load a roll of Ilford 35 or 120 I feel good!
    He he, I feel good every time I load a roll of 35 or 120.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just received notification from Freestyle of shipment for my order of 7X17 FP-4 film. This really suggests that the US distributer had the film all along (hopefully in a cooler ;-). If I had known it was available, I would have started ordering Ilford film last year when I got the camera. I hope this time Simon & Ilford work with their US distributer to make all aware of the ready availability of ULF film. This would, I suspect, encourage more users of film to feel comfortable with standardizing on Ilford film.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there any point at which a volume order receives any discount? Ten boxes? Twenty? Still pondering this whole whole-plate thing ... I assume there will still be inventory of 6x5 x 8.5 available for purchase? Sanders

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew View Post
    Is there any point at which a volume order receives any discount? Ten boxes? Twenty? Still pondering this whole whole-plate thing ... I assume there will still be inventory of 6x5 x 8.5 available for purchase? Sanders
    I don't think it's realistic to expect a volume discount. The challenge for Ilford/Harman is how to avoid losing money on the deal. Given how difficult market conditions are overall, I'm grateful that they're willing to serve in this way. But there were variations in how much of a discount the various dealer partners offered off of list price, so one could have saved a few dollars by shopping around.

There was some inventory of whole plate FP4+ left over after the prepaid orders were filled last year. I don't know whether anyone knows what will happen this year. As a general matter, if you want to be absolutely sure of getting a particular emulsion/size, you need to put in a prepaid order during the scheduled period.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Ilford ULF Production Run

Simon,

I ordered 100 sheets of 12x20 HP5 through the View Camera Store. I paid the credit card bill last week. I was blissfully unaware of this whole issue until today. While I am pleased Ilford has chosen to make good on its plan to make another run of ULF film, I will tell you that had I learned of the situation before paying the credit card bill and before you made this post that Ilford would indeed follow through, I would have contacted the credit card company and cancelled the order through them. (That's why I use American Express and pay the annual fee - they protect me as the customer.) At that point your orders would have been reduced and the whole situation of not having enough orders would have headed toward a self-fulfilling prophecy. The message here is that when you ask a person on a budget to commit $1200 or whatever amount on a non-refundable order and then come back and say...."Well, we don't have enough orders", it leaves a very disconcerting feeling about placing future "special" orders. I didn't really need the HP5 with 100 sheets of Bergger and 100 sheets of TMAX400 in the freezer, but with the Forte element's potential effect on Bergger availability and JandC still not back in business due to John's illness, I thought it a prudent thing to do. Shortly after I placed the order, John at JandC contacted me about how much 12x20 TMAX400 I might be interested in purchasing in the next year. They still had a small amount of TMAX400 in stock so I ordered and received 50 sheets of 12x20 left over from the first cutting. I'm planning to shoot some of that film next weekend if the weather gods cooperate. I have no Ilford HP5 film at the moment.

I understand the business realities of inventory. I managed an $8.5 million business of over 100 hardware products in my day job for 7 years. But my suggestion to you is that you schedule film runs such that people can order from stock at the dealer of their choice rather than having to gamble and invest large amounts of money not knowing if the product will be manufactured or delivered. There are other film alternatives at the moment if you spend a little time looking around the country. Other people have confirmed this elsewhere in this thread. I have no religious commitment to any one film manufacturer and so have learned to work with whatever is available - Bergger, Ilford, or Kodak. Each film has its own pluses and minuses. Without saying any more on the subject, there are discussions under way with Kodak to do just I suggested above. I don't know if they will pan out. But if they do, I won't be placing any more "special orders".

I'm happy you will be following through on this production run because I think it is good for the ULF community and Ilford's reputation. Had Ilford decided not to do the run, I believe it would have irreparably damaged your ability to do so again in the future so I believe you made the right business decision.

As an aside, the idea of packaging film in larger boxes is a really, really bad idea. That is exactly what Kodak did on their TMAX400 run and it really ticked off me and a lot of other people. I have an insulated film case for carrying boxes of both exposed and unexposed film in the field. I work a lot in the desert and my film is stored in the vehicle at all times because I'm camping or moving location every day. the case is sized for 12x20 boxes - not 16x20. I fed my opinion back to Kodak through private channels and they appear to be responding to my and other's feedback. I find it ironic that I had to re-package all of the TMAX400 film I bought into empty Ilford boxes for a 2 week photo expedition in the canyon country of Utah last fall. I now have 20 16x20 film boxes from the TMAX for which I have no use and which are taking up valuable space. I will probably put them up for sale on ebay at a very low price just to get rid of them. I'm sure there is someone out there who shoots 16x20 that would love to have some extra film boxes. Another piece of feedback for you in your packaging is you should be lining all three box components with black paper. All of Kodak's film boxes are made this way. I doubled bagged the TMAX400 that I re-packaged into Ilford boxes for this reason - paranoia about light leaks especially when I am shooting and changing film outside in the desert in a Harrison tent. The black plastic bag you use for the film begins to develop pinholes after only a few times of in and out of the box when changing film.

Bob
    Last edited by bobherbst; 04-14-2007 at 06:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just received great news on my ULF Ilford order. I received an unexpected call from George at Freestyle Photographic Supplies and he advised my order for FP4+ 11x14 should be delivered by May 18th! In my case, I have been extremely pleased with my prior orders from Freestyle and this is just icing on the cake!
    Everyone has a constitutional right to be an idiot; that does not mean you should exercise your right!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm... I received my 7x17 and 14x17 FP4+ almost six weeks ago in late March. Evidently, this was left over from the previous cut. I have not received my 4x10 FP4+, as it's a new size this time around.

On a related note, I'd like to thank Simon and Ilford for cutting the 4x10 size. I never did get my 4x10 TMAX 400 and finally got a refund almost 14 months after I placed the order (although I still would have rather had the film). It'll sure be nice to have some factory cut 4x10 film and not have to deal with the hassle of cutting my own. Thanks Simon!

Kerry

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin