Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,694   Online: 754

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

SFX 200 (120) - can it be used normally?

Hi

Yesterday I was given three rolls of SFX 200 (120) and would like to shoot them. However, I don't have any experience with infrared, have no filters, and am not interested in buying any I'd like to shoot this film as just plain B&W.

It expires this month, so what ASA should I rate it at? Also, I read a long time ago that IR film requires careful handling: load in complete darkness, tape over the film door window, be careful when loading into reels, etc, etc. Is this the case, or can I "cut corners" as with regular B&W film?

Thanks in advance
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops, heh heh .. should I just follow the directions here? http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...-infrared.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have shot this film at box speed with and without a red filter to get good results. I usually load in subdued light, and have seen no ill effects. I think loading in total darkness applies to "true" IR films, which this one is apparently not.
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 02-26-2011 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SFX is Ilford HP5 with some different dyes to give the infra-red sensitivity. You can use at 200 ISO as a normal b&w film. It has the grain of HP5. I process like FP4 (120 film is 9 minutes in 1+6 Ilfotec DDX 20C) when I do this but you need to play around as the dev time depends on how you expose, agitation, temperature, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are some pictures in my gallery taken with SFX without a filter. I wouldn't normally use it like this but we had just had a lot of snow and I wanted to go out and record it. SFX was the only film I had at the time.

Here is one: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=12229

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I pushed it to ISO 400 and developed it in ID-11 for 16 minutes.

POW! Great contrast!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

You can get the data sheet from the Ilford Photo Website. That might have some info on using it unfiltered. I think it looks great shot at 200. I didn't know it was just HP5 with extended red sensitivity.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin