Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,291   Online: 1021

Shooter
    Medium Format

Flooded negative

A friend just called me after he rescued 4 boxes of negatives out of his flooded basement
    As there are more negatives than can be cleaned quickly, we were wondering if we could freeze them, so they will not dry out and damage or go moldy before we can get to them. Any one have any advise or experience in this area ?
    Last edited by Julian Ferreira; 06-06-2011 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the disaster,
    Freezing the negatives (which they are wet) will expand the water and (I guess) crack the emulsion. I would say keep them wet (distilled water), dont let them dry out, separerat them slowly, wash them, photo flow and then dry. Dont wait to long....

I hope everything works out, but i would work fast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply, i wondered about cracking ... but it could take months to go through every frame ... He was hoping to find a way of keeping things stable until he can get to them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    have your friend call these people
    http://www.nedcc.org/home.php
    or poke around on their website for information.

i have had negatives damaged from flood before, and i didn't get to them
    intime, and the emulsion was damaged beyond repair. i hope your friend
    has better luck than i had !

john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin