Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,907   Posts: 1,521,425   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I tried some Delta 400 in Ilfosol 3 (1+9), 7 minutes at 20C with three gentle inversions every minute. It didn't grab my eyeballs like the same film in Rodinal 1:50. Perhaps some more experimentation is called for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did the same about five years ago, and for similar reasons. Now I have mostly come back to Kodak because Ilford's prices simply got too high for me, and they did it really quickly. The paper and chemicals are particularly ridiculous in price. While other brands of paper such as Oriental have gone up maybe 5 to 10 percent in the past five years, Ilford's have gone up about 30 or 40 percent in the same time period. And I cannot argue with Arista Premium while it lasts. I still shoot Delta 3200 and from time to time SFX, because there are no equivalent products from other manufacturers. But for paper, chemicals, and other films, I use Kodak, Efke, Adox, Oriental, Fotokemika, etc. Principle can only be taken to the point of affordability in my case. And Kodak films are so outstanding...and Ilford's papers so bland in my eyes, compared to all the others out there (and for significantly less money).

Kodak Flexicolor Fixer is so cheap that – as long as it is being made – buying any other general-purpose fixer makes no sense to me. It's about $10 for 5 gallons worth of the stuff (film dilution) cannot be beat unless you are mixing from powders. How much Ilford fixer does one get for about $10? 20 percent as much. Ridiculous!

Apparently Ilford needs the money badly (poor sales, maybe?), and/or they are trying to position themselves as "The Luxury Photo Supplies Brand" simply by inflating prices. In the latter case, I think they are jumping the gun. The market is not quite to the point where film is a boutique item.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hopefully I can link to that image without too much trouble. That should explain a lot about what's going on with B&W film prices now. Those who haven't jacked it up yet will be once they have to buy more silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that was the only reason for Ilford's price increases, then the percentages of price rises should be similar to other manufacturers. But see my comment above. Their price rises in the past five years on paper are at least 4x the rises of my favorite competitor, Oriental. And it is NOT just products containing silver. Chemicals have gone up significantly, and the price of silver should have no effect on that. Some possible explanations floating around in my mind are as stated above: the business is suffering badly and they have figured that these are the prices they need to charge to stay afloat, or it is a premature attempt at positioning themselves for an "elite" group of film users.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-07-2011 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Well I tried some Delta 400 in Ilfosol 3 (1+9), 7 minutes at 20C with three gentle inversions every minute. It didn't grab my eyeballs like the same film in Rodinal 1:50. Perhaps some more experimentation is called for.
    Well of course more experimentation is called for.

Just checked the Ilford data sheet and unless you shot it at about EI 250 or so I think you probably under developed it.

Have you tried Delta 100?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pulled the 7m figure from the Massive Dev Chart as a starting point. I suppose that since I was using Ilford film & developer, I would have had better luck starting with their data sheet. Lesson learned? Maybe.

I've worked with Delta 100 in Rodinal before and was pretty happy with it. Though honestly unless I'm doing a portrait or fashion shoot with my monolights, chances are I'll be shooting in anything from overcast to dark indoor conditions (bars & night clubs). So I had been using Tri-X for everything from EI 200-3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually have had great luck with Delta 400 over the whole range you have been using Tri-X for.

With an incident meter I normally shoot at box speed and develop with DD-X per ilford instructions and print at grade 2.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the pointers. I know this film can do better, based on previous experience using it with Rodinal. I'll try some DD-X next time I stop at the local camera shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One way to never be able to get the same results twice, be they good or bad, is to constantly be switching films and developers. Pick a few things and stick with them until they are nailed down, IMO. There isn't much one cannot do with a simple general purpose developer like ID-11, Ilfotec HC, or DD-X. But always switching from one to the other simply because your last roll didn't turn out well will not serve you well. There is nothing wrong with any of these developers, or any of Ilford's films, that will cause bad results related directly to the materials. Metering, developing, and printing are the likely issues that cause people to say they dislike a film or developer. But most developers and films are very general-purpose oriented, and with diligent technique and trial and error, any combination of standard film and standard developer can produce results that are great. We each just need to put in the time to learn how to work with them.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not hopping around. I've been using Tri-X and Rodinal. I'm transitioning to Ilford products with the intention of finding my new standard film & developer. That rather calls for a bit of experimentation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin