Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,183   Online: 1100

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wrote that because you said you'd try some DD-X for your next roll because the Ilfosol wasn't to your liking.

My point was that a developer change will likely serve you worse than trying a change in routine with the developer you are already using. In other words, it wasn't the fault if Ilfosol in and of itself. Every material takes trial and error to nail down, and one cannot do that by trying once and then switching to something else.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfosol 3 is better with conventional films, like Tri-X, FP4+, HP5+, etc. DD-X is particularly suited for T-grained films like TMax and Ilford's Delta line.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah ok gotcha. The guy at the camera shop didn't seem as familiar with pairing Ilford's film & developers. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The great thing about Ilford is their products are available across all formats. I'll have no problem when I have to, for example, shoot HP5 in everything. I love TMY, but it's not available in 8x10 anymore. Tri-X isn't available in sheets at all.

But then again Ilford doesn't make color film...
    Eh? I see 320 TXP listed everywhere I check.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/179136...TXP?cat_id=404

I don't believe that ISO 400 TX has ever been available in sheets.

No argument that Ilford makes great products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got Arista, Foma, and Ilford paper. They can all make decent images. The Ilford has the least drydown of my choices. Saves me time and materials even though the paper is a little more.

The Ilford MGRC warmtone (in dektol) is my favorite paper for the majority of prints. They've got something special that a generic silver paper does not have. Subjective choice I know, but I like it.

So I end up using the arista mostly for contact prints and the Ilford for enlargements. The foma makes good enlargements too, but it's more work to get things right with bigger drydown.

Nothing wrong with Ilford film, but I'm using Kodak TMY2 right now and sticking to it.

Been doing the Kodak Film and Ilford Paper combination for about 23 years now. Never was a huge fan of Kodak's polycontrast papers and didn't mind when it went away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If that was the only reason for Ilford's price increases, then the percentages of price rises should be similar to other manufacturers. But see my comment above. Their price rises in the past five years on paper are at least 4x the rises of my favorite competitor, Oriental. And it is NOT just products containing silver. Chemicals have gone up significantly, and the price of silver should have no effect on that. Some possible explanations floating around in my mind are as stated above: the business is suffering badly and they have figured that these are the prices they need to charge to stay afloat, or it is a premature attempt at positioning themselves for an "elite" group of film users.
    The metric is not how much their prices have gone up. Recalling their film history, this tells us that their film used to be very cheap.

Compare prices today. Ilford is cheaper than Kodak for film (sorry, don't know paper off the top of my head).

5 years or so back, Ilford had really cheap prices. They were also supplying house brands (Arista, ultrafine, etc) who were selling at really low prices. Ilford had to reorganize.

There can be multiple reasons for the price increase. One just might be their interest in having a sustainable business.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    Ilfosol 3 is better with conventional films, like Tri-X, FP4+, HP5+, etc. DD-X is particularly suited for T-grained films like TMax and Ilford's Delta line.

Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Ah ok gotcha. The guy at the camera shop didn't seem as familiar with pairing Ilford's film & developers. Thanks.
    Having developed the last 300 rolls or so of HP5+ in DD-X, with occasional abortive attempts to find a better combination, I am puzzled as to what Ottrdaemmerung might mean by "particularly suited." HP5+ and DD-X is a match made in heaven. Pleasing, well-defined grain, a curve that never ends, with both highlights and shadows recoverable all the way to the other other side of the rainbow. Delta looks nowhere near as good in DD-X.

Hmmm... A bit subjective perhaps? Sure it is. That's what the forum is for, no?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vilk, I am new to developing. If I was to tell you I am specifically going to stay with Delta 100, and HP5+ for 99% of what I am going to do, what developer would you recommend for me. Remember, I am a noob and I will more than likely stay at boxed speed on the film. Add Delta 3200 to the mix, same developer?

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would combine it with DD-X and when you want a cheaper developer alternative: Microphen or Xtol. But last two are powder developers and they have less convenience then DD-X which is a liquid concentrate.
    But also Kodak HC-110 (also a liquid concentrate) would be a pretty good choice. For the rest it's a matter of taste. Some people like e.g. HP5+ and Rodinal, some people hate it (too much grain). But of course it's also depending on the film format.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Liquid ease of use: DD-X with those three films.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    Vilk, I am new to developing. If I was to tell you I am specifically going to stay with Delta 100, and HP5+ for 99% of what I am going to do, what developer would you recommend for me. Remember, I am a noob and I will more than likely stay at boxed speed on the film. Add Delta 3200 to the mix, same developer?

Bob E.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin