Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,053   Online: 914

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thank you! - From DC

Not sure this board see's much use but as I was just thinking about how happy I was that Calumet stepped in to keep the 3 core DC area Penn Camera stores in business I noticed there was a Calumet board. Anyway, I'm sure it was a calculated business decision and I hope that they profit from expanding their brick and morter presence to the DC area. My particular store is the E St location and I've already been purusing the new gear. It is interesting to see what is new and what is no longer carried, the biggest suprise in the bag department was no more Think Tank, which I thought was a great line. But at the same time the Tamrac bags are pretty sweet looking too.

Anyway, the point was that I'm incredibly grateful that I still have a decent B&M camera store to visit here in DC, so thank you Calumet!

Shooter
    35mm
    Must appreciate you point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I have yet to see any stocking of film (especially Ilford sheet film), paper or chemicals in the Rockville store. I'll withhold praise until I do. When I can walk into Penn Camera and buy a box of sheet film I'll break out the champagne.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too am truly disappointed in their film stocking tendencies. The E Street store seems to carry only a smattering of film - far less than Penn Camera did under their old management. For plenty of other things, I'm very glad they were taken over by Calumet - they now stock a huge line of lighting supplies and other items that were not locally available, and their prices are now competitive on a wide assortment of goodies like camera lenses and other hardware. Their stocking policies are a bit mysterious though- they carry but don't stock some items, and they don't carry others at all (most of the Canon camcorder lineup, for example, or thinking back to film, Portra 160 in anything other than 35mm). I desperately want to support a local brick-and-mortar store but part of the point of having one is the ability to walk in and walk out with the thing you're looking for, instead of having to wait to have it brought in. At that point, I'll order from B&H instead because it will take just as long, but I'll save the sales tax, and the odds are 50/50 that B&H is still cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope that they stock film properly in the near future. If so I will continue to use them. Otherwise I will buy the film in Los Angeles at Samys and FreeStyle when I am there or mail order.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The tyson store was stocking film and at least limited chemistry as of about 5 weeks ago.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sheet film? What formats?
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Steve-

B&H beats the hell out of Freestyle on price, even with shipping factored in. I suppose if you can pick up film while you're out there it's close to a wash, but B&H has always done right by me. They're fast, too.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know all t hey had but I bought some T-MAX 400 35mm film

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, they are quite rapid in their order processing..I've always been impressed how quickly they get stuff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Steve-

B&H beats the hell out of Freestyle on price, even with shipping factored in. I suppose if you can pick up film while you're out there it's close to a wash, but B&H has always done right by me. They're fast, too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin