Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,317   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fred Pickers Classic Trilogy on DVD

Hello All,

Fred Pickerís Classic Trilogy, Photographing, The Negative: Exposure and Development and Printing with Fred Picker are now Digitally Remastered unto 1 DVD. Dedicated to his love of black and white film photography, Fred was an
    innovative photographer, author and teacher with a passion for photography and fishing. We at Calumet are proud to announce this DVD. It's 3 hours in length. Here's a link to the Fred Picker DVD http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CE9940/?a=APUG&t=APUG
    I hope you al enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together. I'd also like to mention a big thanks to Bruce Barlow for his participation in the original videos.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've seen one of his videos and am looking forward to viewing the DVD. His book on the Fine Print is very good, and his newsletters were a valuable source of information.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Why doesn't Calumet also put the entire Newsletter collection onto a DVD? That's a great asset for any photographer's library; I've probably read my entire series a dozen times and will do so again. Just a thought.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been discussing the possibility of putting the Fred Picker Newsletters online with Brendan Sullivan from Calumet (Jeremy has offered to host them on a university server). I would like to see Calumet put the newsletter collection onto DVD and offer them for sale, if they don't see that as financially worthwhile then it would be great to get permission to host them online. The most important thing is that they are made available in some way.
    Hal
    Last edited by hal9000; 11-21-2008 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just received the DVD and it is excellent. A real bargain.
    van Huyck Photo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just purchased it from Calumet.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    would really like to hear about the quality of the videos. I own all 3 of the original videos, and would jump at the chance to own them on DVD, but the image quality of the "trailer" does't look any better then my Old VHS tapes.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quality - the image on my DVD/TV combination seems fine. However, on the Mac or PC, it seems somewhat less than perfect - out of focus. Not sure why that would be (the TV is analog ;-)
    van Huyck Photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered it too. The quality in the trailer looks much better than my attempt using a Plextor Video converter to DVD. (I was worried about my VHS tapes breaking...) If they have a good master and much better equipment, it should at least be as good as the originals.

I bought all three as original VHS tapes. I would love to see the newsletters get released too. I bought an almost complete collection and have read and re-read them. It would be nice to have the missing newsletters.

--John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Quality - the image on my DVD/TV combination seems fine. However, on the Mac or PC, it seems somewhat less than perfect - out of focus. Not sure why that would be (the TV is analog ;-)
    Probably as the original production was analog NTSC the effective resolution on a DVD is going to be in the neighborhood of 640x480. On a computer screen thats not a lot of information to spread across the whole screen, and you are likely sitting pretty close. It also depends on how they were able to source the video, from the masters, or from downstream. It is pretty difficult to up-res this older stuff. I'm sure it is as good as Calumet could make it given the vintage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin