Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,744   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congratulations!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    The perforating pins and matrix have been built to an accuracy of 2/1000th of a millimeter over a length of 9mm. The people who made these are retired now and upcoming fine mechanics are not challenged to such a degree anymore because today electronics supervise mechanics and automatically correct mispositioning. Our machine has to be so precise that mispositioning cannot occur in the fist place because back then no electronic supervision was possible.
    This reminds me of some stories from working as a cinema technician.

Not only are the pins and matrix machined to sub-micron tolerance, they are custom machined as a matched set.
    One of my jobs as a cinema tech was to maintain and repair splicers in the booths that I serviced. I visited each one of my theaters every 30 days, on average. Each time I arrived, I would go to the storage cabinet and pull out all the parts from broken and disassembled splicers that people had taken apart and couldn't put back together again.

A cine film splicer LOOKS like a simple thing but it is a very difficult thing to assemble and calibrate properly.

The pins and matrices are numbered and they only go together one way. Once you know how to do it, match the serial numbers and look for the alignment marks, they go together smoothly but get them out of order and they'll spite you! What's worse, if they don't fit and you force them together, you'll wear away the cutting surfaces and they will never work correctly again.

You have to assemble the two pieces then bolt the unit to the bottom plate but don't tighten. Then, you align the punch plate on the guide rods and bring it down on top of the top punch. (The pins.) Once you get it aligned, bolt and tighten. Check alignment and tighten the bottom plate and test for correct meshing and operation. Once you get that far, you can slide the top punch/pins assembly off the guide rods to install the springs. Put it all back together and attach the cutter blades and the fulcrum/handle.

I used to just collect all the broken and disassembled splicers in a box. When I got home, I'd dump them out on my kitchen table and use whatever parts I had to make as many working splicers as I could. I'd put them into boxes and stow them in my car. When I visited a theater, I'd get a box out of my trunk, deliver a splicer and pick up the parts of the broken ones that were invariably lying on the shelf.

Just fixing splicers that make one cut on one frame at a time is frustrating enough. At the end of the day, I was terribly frustrated.

I can hardly imagine what it would be like to fix a machine that punches film at a rate of 100 feet per minute!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent news, Mirko! Keep up the good work. We all appreciate what you do.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will celebrate the new equipment with an Adox film purchase.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I look forward to buying some of the film finished on this equipment.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes,keepup the good work. you may well be the last man standing in the b&ww manufacturing world.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    I will celebrate the new equipment with an Adox film purchase.
    Exactly!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats. I will celebrate by buying some of your film.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Congrats. I will celebrate by buying some of your film.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great news Mirko. I wish we saw ADOX products here in Turkey, but it appears there is no importer (yet).

Danke und alles Gute...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin