Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,524   Online: 1021

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adox Variotone

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Perhaps the situation you describe is related to UK retailers. It's not the case here.

Four times the 25-sheet box price of $47.50 ($190.00) is 1.31 times the 100-sheet box price ($144.95). Nowhere near 2.5X. A fairly reasonable premium, in my view, for the extra packaging and stock keeping effort.
    I'd agree and lucky you or is it unlucky me? It does seem as if the U.K. situation may not reflect that in other countries. A pity. However I always try and see the bright side of things and at least our U.K situation allows TV programme makers to make a programme called "Rip-Off Britain". It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good as they say

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pentax,

I´d like to hold against this that I cannot imagine you are talking about an ADOX product. If so this must be an error.
    Our dealers do not usually change the cost structure originally given by us.

Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    I would not call it a house brand. Normally a house brand is a given product branded for other companies with their brand.
    Variotone is a unique product produced only for us.
    We also finish it which is a major part in the production.
    However the company making the emulsion and coating it has raised prices to an extend that we had two choices:

1) Make it the by far most expensive paper in the world
    2) Limit the amount of money a retailer can make on the paper to a number which is comparable to what he can make on other brands but less than what ADOX usually offers.

Some dealers understood others decided not to carry the paper under these circumstances.

It´s a very low profit world we are living in if it comes to analog photography...

Mirko
    Sure, I know very well it's a unique paper, it's just that Moersch site states Hausmarke.

Keep the good work going!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hausmarke (house brand, store brand, private label) is a term defined in Germany as a brand given by a wholesaler or retailer to a product manufactured by another company.
    If the manufacturer markets it for his own under an own brand one would not call this a Hausmarke. Mirko is right on this.

Though the term is not best chosen. A less-ambigious and and also common term for the same thing is Vertriebsmarke (re-sale brand).

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi,
    I never used Adox Variotone Glossy, but would like to. Can anyone tell me why this is a good/better paper than the others?
    Thanks,
    Bert
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    Pentax,

I´d like to hold against this that I cannot imagine you are talking about an ADOX product. If so this must be an error.
    Our dealers do not usually change the cost structure originally given by us.

Mirko
    Mirko, I have done another more thorough check on a number of U.K. retailers and I should not have included Adox when I complained about the premium price for 4 x 25 sheet packs compared to a 100 sheet box.

I chose Adox MCP in 5x7 size as my comparison. In fact there are not enough retailers in the U.K. selling Adox paper in both 100 sheet boxes and 25 sheet packs to reach a proper conclusion. I can find only three retailers in the U.K. selling Adox paper and of those only one sells both sizes which happens to be 8x10. That retailer in fact only charges 1.18 times the price for 4x 25 sheets compared to a 100 sheet box which is by U.K. standards the lowest premium and seems reasonable as others have said.

It is a pity that none of the three retailers seem able to match their Adox prices to either Fotospeed, Kentmere or Ilford but that is not what this thread is about so I will end my comments there except to say that in Ilford MGIV RC paper, all the retailers have premiums between 1.35 and 1.73 so in the U.K. we would appear to pay a higher premium for 25 sheet packs than in other countries but this is really a separate thread.

Apologies once again for including Adox in my statement

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin