Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,167   Online: 1030

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    When Lomography buys kodak-Alaris from bankruptcy in a few years from bad new management they will... Hah!
    That would of course leave all the former Kodak Limited employees without any assets to fund their pensions.

When you say "Hah", I assume you find that funny Stone.

The Kodak UK pension plan bought that business as a going concern, along with all of Eastman Kodak's colour paper business.

Do you want that to disappear as well?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha! I always move it to a new bottle because the child proof lid lock fails to function after a while, that's the main reason, I do this with ilford chems too.

The nifty antique bottle is just cause it makes the process more fun. Makes me feel like I'm "back in the day" after all part of why we do this is the joy of the process.
    I agree they're kind of cool. Hey, my wife and I spent much of the weekend at Anachrocon and I used to be in the SCA. I'm down with old stuff.

I put Ilford chems in other bottles. I don't know if it's the lid that leaks air once the seal is removed or the bottle, but you can squeeze the air out and seal the bottle cap for all you're worth and it will expand again and developer will die. I lost more than 1/2 bottle of Harman WT developer this way. My next bottle went in two separate brown darkroom bottles (yeah, glass is better, but I have these and I can squeeze the air out and, WTH, they work well enough.)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But seriously those brown square bottles would be PERFECT!
    The Schott company does not only make the classic cylindrical, brown, glass lab bottles bottles, but the same in a cuboid version too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The squared off ones make a lot of sense for stocking manufacturers, shippers, retailers etc. because they save on wasted space compared to round bottles. But for home I don't see as it matters.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    That would of course leave all the former Kodak Limited employees without any assets to fund their pensions.

When you say "Hah", I assume you find that funny Stone.

The Kodak UK pension plan bought that business as a going concern, along with all of Eastman Kodak's colour paper business.

Do you want that to disappear as well?
    Laws in place prevent pensions from disappearing, that only happens if the company illegally raids the funds. Otherwise the pension monies are already safe and secure in an account, regardless of what happens to the company.

Of course I don't want it to happen, but the true reality of a situation and what we want, aren't always the same. I had high hopes for Alaris, but not sure now, we shall see...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The Schott company does not only make the classic cylindrical, brown, glass lab bottles bottles, but the same in a cuboid version too
    Thanks!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Laws in place prevent pensions from disappearing, that only happens if the company illegally raids the funds. Otherwise the pension monies are already safe and secure in an account, regardless of what happens to the company.

Of course I don't want it to happen, but the true reality of a situation and what we want, aren't always the same. I had high hopes for Alaris, but not sure now, we shall see...
    Maybe US law is different, but certainly the security of UK pensions depends upon the investment abilities of the pension trustees. Pension monies are definitely not "safe and secure in an account". MattKing is correct, if pension money is held (entirely properly and legitimately) in Alaris shares, and Alaris fails, so do the pensions.

Please get you facts correct. (And, FTM, what makes you so dubious about Alaris's prospects ? )

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the UK pensions are guaranteed by the state up to a certain limit, in case of demise of the emplyoing company or pension fund:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/safety-of...ension-schemes

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Lantern slides! I gotta start doing some of those!
    I actually saw an ad for very old unexposed lantern slides a few months ago. I almost bought it just for fun but wasn't sure the box was really unopened. So I passed.

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pensions both public and private can and do disappear or shrink, beyond any illegal activity. Unfunded or underfunded pension liability is a major crisis in the US. Kodak USA employees took a big hit. It's happening everywhere, cities and states too. Some may well call it a crime, but judges don't seem to agree. Look it up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin