Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,139   Online: 866

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

Making and trademarking Rodinal are legally total different things.
    Yes, of course.
    But Rodinal is so commonplace, it's often used as a synonym to its chemical compounds.

It would be easier and more recognizable to have different brands of Rodinal (as oxymoron as it may sound, as Rodinal is a brand, not a chemical) than different brands of para-aminophenol.

Anyway, all this is trivia, since nowadays that film isn't the norm, those who shoot it are usually well informed about the actual product.

Good thing that at last it's labeled properly, nonetheless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using Compard R09 One Shot (same stuff) up until now, but will order a bottle of Adox Rodinal the very next time I order supplies. Thanks, Mirko!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Great. As soon as I finish this bottle of Adonal I'll get me some Rodinal.
    Hurrah. Adonal always sounded as if it was some kind of sex booster drink so wrong kind of developer It doesn't sound right for a photographic chemical

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Hooray! I bought a bottle of Adolux APH 09 thinking it was the same, it wasn't. I have a useless bottle of goo with a ball of worse goo on the bottom, and it died soon after opening. Maybe I'll have renewed faith in the product again.
    Glad I caught this and pulled it from my Freestly cart. I've read so many different thigns on different forums and different places. Aside from the above, what of the current Rodinal based developers are ACTUALLY Rodinal?
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But what do you mean by "renewed"?
    That only you (as a company) are allowed to label it as Rodinal?
    Yes but we are the only company producing Rodinal acording to the orignal Rodinal recipe used by Agfa in the end.

If we for some reason ever decided to stop making it someone else could take it the same way we did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've read so many different thigns on different forums and different places. Aside from the above, what of the current Rodinal based developers are ACTUALLY Rodinal?
    I know. It´s a mess. I´ve been posting several times and try again now.

Before Agfa closed there were developers around manufactured by a former ORWO company called R09.
    They could be called Rodinal because once Rodinal was made and sold acording to this recipe.
    However this was more than 50 years ago. So they were actually "50 year old Rodinal".
    We still sell such a formular under the APH09 brand but we will stop now.
    After Agfa closed the chemical company was spun off and became independant. This company made for one year the so called A&O Rodinal.
    Until then the Rodinal name was in use. Then the company was sold again and with it the trademark. The new owners decided not to manufacture end user b&w products anymore but they offered their products in bulk.
    At that time we came out with ADONAL and another company decided to call a by then identical product R09 one shot.
    I personally find the name chosen a bit confusing because it was not R09, rather it was "real" Rodinal.
    But that was their decision.
    Another year later this former Agfa chemical company was sold again (!) and stoped entirely the manufacturing of Rodinal (and all other former Agfa b&w chemistry).
    We had anticipated this to come and had started throughout the year before to employ former Agfa personel and set up a research lab.
    The Agfa people "happened to know the recipes from their memory" (this is about the only way I can legally word this) and recreated them for us in our lab.
    Since then we produce Rodinal, Neutol, Sistan and others acording to "known" recipes.
    The other company wanted to continue business as well and carried a bottle of Rodinal to a large German manufacturer of photo chemistry asking for a "rebrew" or "clone".
    The manufacturer acted as instructed.

Now the outcome is that our product is "genuine Rodinal" like it was produced by Agfa in the end and it is different from all others but I am not saying that the others are in any way bad nor that the differences are huge.

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 02-14-2014 at 04:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    I know. It´s a mess. I´ve been posting several times and try again now.

Before Agfa closed there were developers around manufactured by a former ORWO company called R09.
    They could be called Rodinal because once Rodinal was made and sold acording to this recipe.
    However this was more than 50 years ago. So they were actually "50 year old Rodinal".
    We still sell such a formular under the APH09 brand but we will stop now.
    After Agfa closed the chemical company was spun off and became independant. This company made for one year the so called A&O Rodinal.
    Until then the Rodinal name was in use. Then the company was sold off again and with it the trademark. The new ownders decided not to manufacture end user b&w products anymore but they offered their products in bulk.
    At that time we came out with ADONAL and another company decided to call a by then identical product R09 one shot.
    I personally find the name chosen a bit confusing because it was not R09, rather it was "real" Rodinal.
    But that was their decision.
    Another year later this former Agfa chemical company was sold again (!) and stoped entirely the manufacturing of Rodinal (and all other former Agfa b&w chemistry).
    We had anticipated this to come and had started throughout the year before to employ former Agfa personel and set up a research lab.
    The Agfa people "happened to know the recipes from their memory" (this is about the only way I can legally word this) and recreated them for us in our lab.
    Since then we produce Rodinal, Neutol, Sistan and others acording to "known" recipes.
    The other company wanted to continue business as well and carried a bottle of Rodinal to a large German manufacturer of photo chemistry asking for a "rebrew".
    The manufacturer acted as instructed.

Now the outcome is that our product is "genuine Rodinal" like it was produced by Agfa in the end and it is different from all others but I am not saying that the others are in any way bad nor that the differences are huge.

Mirko
    OK got it. So in the meantime, while I wait for this to get to the USA, I can use your guys' Adonal, which is Rodinal, but couldn't legally call it that. Also, another manufacturer makes R09 One Shot, which is also the same thing. APH09 and other "Rodinal-like" developers are actually NOT. Correct?

Thanks for the help!
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Mirko's definition: "'genuine Rodinal', like it was produced in the end".

Most of my experience with Rodinal was mostly in the 1970s. Was that Rodinal the same as the "'genuine Rodinal', like it was produced in the end"?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just finishing a bottle of APH09, about 18 months after opening it.
    No bottom goo, no problems ever in fact.
    Developed film perfectly & works at the end of the bottle just like it did at the beginning.

For all the endless threads about the different brands of Rodinal, the history, all the formulas and all the heat the discussions sometimes create, does anyone really see a difference in the final print between the brands? Really?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK got it. So in the meantime, while I wait for this to get to the USA, I can use your guys' Adonal, which is Rodinal, but couldn't legally call it that. Also, another manufacturer makes R09 One Shot, which is also the same thing. APH09 and other "Rodinal-like" developers are actually NOT. Correct?
    Almost. R09 one shot was at one point identical but isn´t anymore.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin