Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 759

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    So now I have to drink 3 bottles of ADOX APH 09 because I told Stone if it wasn't Rodinal I will drink it. That was 2 days ago. Today I opened the first bottle, I am still waiting for the film to dry.

I'm actually pretty upset. I am stuck with ADOX APH 09 garbage now. I was trying to buy Rodinal all along. My last bottles of whatever I had which were labeled Rodinal and worked great to the last drop yesterday!

What a mess!
    You have judged the quality of the developer as garbage and you as in a mess, and you haven't even waited to see what the film looks like?

(Or are you being funny and I' ve missed the joke?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So now I have to drink 3 bottles of ADOX APH 09 because I told Stone if it wasn't Rodinal I will drink it
    Iīm not sure about that. It "was" Rodinal at a time...

Also APH09 is far away from being garbage. If it has crystalized it is most likely a temperature issue in storage or transport and it can be remelted in a warm water bath. Rodinal (whichever version) is very well lasting.
    The most modern recipe is ofcourse the most sophisticated and best. Also in the keeping properties.
    R09 actually stands for "Rodinal formulation number 9". So in 1945 we were at formulation numer 9 which lets me anticipate that in 2005 we were probably at recipe change number 20. Differences are small but there were always reasons why Agfa made a change. But again this does not make the other product so bad that it couldnīt be used.
    We have been quite upfront about APH09 all these years. On our website it states that this is the WWII formulation and that we use other raw materials (of a purer kind) for ADONAL. This also explains the price difference.
    APH09 was our "cheap version" of ADONAL and I guess thatīs why people bought it. No?
    By no means do you have to discard APH09!
    Differences are existing but they are not of a kind so that you have to take this radical step!

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 02-14-2014 at 05:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I see one more Rodinal stand development thread on the internet, I'm gonna barf.
    Stand development was very popular in Europe in the 20ies to 40ies. It can do one very important thing for you and that is doubling the ISO speed of the film.
    Back in the 20ies when a high speed film had 50 ASA this was important and outran the downsides.
    Today I would consider this more of an experimental technique than something soemone really should do.
    However I explained the physics behind it over in the FX-39 thread (this forum) and believe me the physics are working.
    You can effectively increase speed by local developer exhaustion in highly diluted developers.
    This is why we promote the old Agfa agitation method (10 seconds agitation- 50 seconds stand) for development over rotation.
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 02-14-2014 at 04:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    can we also hope for Sistan againor, do I needmaking it my selfforever?
    Ralph,

Sistan has been out there ever since Agfa stopped. It is called ADOSTAB

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 02-14-2014 at 05:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Amen, friend. If I see one more Rodinal stand development thread on the internet, I'm gonna barf. Tell you what--why doesn't somebody pour a capful in the ocean and everybody can throw their film in and wait 6000 years, and we won't have to hear about it any more till then.
    Absolutely true!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Mirko for your very helpful information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I have a request: Write on the bottle that Stand development is NOT recommended and that it shall not be spread around as a valid and official development (sloppy) technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    If I see one more Rodinal stand development thread on the internet, I'm gonna barf.
    My most recent APUG Blind Print Exchange submission (BPX18) was an 8x10 contact print from a fully stand developed sheet of FP4+ film. The reciprocity-corrected base exposure was 420 seconds (7 minutes). It was processed using Adonal/Rodinal at 1+100 for 60 minutes without any further agitation beyond an initial 60 seconds.

I sat in the dark for an hour patiently waiting. Next time I'm getting one of those watertight paper safes.

Both the recipient and I were thrilled with the resulting photograph. Given the subject matter, the negative could not have been successfully processed in any other way.

Here is that photograph: Ashen Lady.

Now you are telling me it's no good and must be trashed because of the way it was developed?

Really??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    No. I think Rodinal is great stuff--for Rodinal fans. I'm glad they're still making it. Every little bit helps the profit numbers of a film company, I'm all for. Glad Adox is out there. You gotta remember, I just spout baloney sometimes just to take the edge off from my nature of spouting profundities all the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

RODINAL! You lucky Americans..

I'm just glad I don't have to keep repeating that Adonal is the only true last formula of Rodinal...

No one ever believes me and I can never find the old threads where Mirko mentions it...

FINALLY!!!

Randy, send me the "old" APH09 I would love to do comparison tests.

Also, Mirko, I agree with the other poster, can we get a special run of glass bottles with the Rodinal label?? OR even just a special run of water resistant labels to put on our own glass bottles?

My step father is a packaging salesman, he can produce custom labels and ship them to freestyle to be included as a special edition or something like that? If using glass bottles with chemical in them is too much of a hassle, at least let us label our own?

Once again FINALY I don't have to defend my statements!!

Anyway also 1:100 stand does work, it's just not ideal for everything.

Thanks Mirko!!!

~Stone

PS PM me if you really would like a quote on labels.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm just glad I don't have to keep repeating that Adonal is the only true last formula of Rodinal...

No one ever believes me and I can never find the old threads where Mirko mentions it...

FINALLY!!!

Randy, send me the "old" APH09 I would love to do comparison tests.

Also, Mirko, I agree with the other poster, can we get a special run of glass bottles with the Rodinal label?? OR even just a special run of water resistant labels to put on our own glass bottles?

My step father is a packaging salesman, he can produce custom labels and ship them to freestyle to be included as a special edition or something like that? If using glass bottles with chemical in them is too much of a hassle, at least let us label our own?

Once again FINALY I don't have to defend my statements!!

Anyway also 1:100 stand does work, it's just not ideal for everything.

Thanks Mirko!!!

~Stone

PS PM me if you really would like a quote on labels.
    Hey, Bub--I'm the printer around here.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin