Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,571   Online: 963

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for this information Mirko. I still have a bottle and a half of Adonal on hand so I won't need any Rodinal for a bit.

Maybe if Tom and Stone can sort out who will print these new labels I'll pick up a couple labels and transfer my Adonal into re-labeled brown glass bottles.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm just glad I don't have to keep repeating that Adonal is the only true last formula of Rodinal...

No one ever believes me and I can never find the old threads where Mirko mentions it...

FINALLY!!!
    Sorry Stone - that is not what you said .

You said that Mirko's product was the only true Rodinal.

And Mirko has just posted to say that isn't correct - his is just the most recent .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    And Mirko has just posted to say that isn't correct - his is just the most recent .
    Correct, my R09 One Shot from 2010 is just as genuine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I hadn't thrown out all those Agfa Rodinal glass bottles from the seventies and eighties and...

Bring back the glass campaign!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I wish I hadn't thrown out all those Agfa Rodinal glass bottles from the seventies and eighties and...

Bring back the glass campaign!
    +1
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sorry Stone - that is not what you said .

You said that Mirko's product was the only true Rodinal.

Ugh, no, I specifically always say the most recent before the company shut down. I'm very specific with phrasing on that one
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, for clarity's sake, as I've just read through this thread and am still not sure, some questions for Mirko:

1) Is this new bottle labeled Rodinal identical to the Compard R09 One Shot or not?

2) Is Foma R09 identical to Adox APH09?

3) I've been using the Compard R09 One Shot for the past few years. Do I need to change my times if I get the new Adox Rodinal??

Thank you.
    -Bob
    Last edited by sepiareverb; 02-15-2014 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1) Is this new bottle labeled Rodinal identical to the Compard R09 One Shot or not?
    Not if this bottle has been produced past 2011/2012. Yes if it has been produced before that time.

2) Is Foma R09 identical to Adox APH09?
    At some point it was. I don´t now if it still is. They might be making their own or live still on the last shippment (which was quite large).

3) I've been using the Compard R09 One Shot for the past few years. Do I need to change my times if I get the new Adox Rodinal??
    The pH- values of the two developers are very close so I would expect the differences to be below the influence of other factors.
    But this depends on the accuracy of your workflow setup and ofcourse on the dilution.
    In the very high dilutions the differences might become more obvious.

The main difference is the buffering system, the grain surpression additive (the amount is so small that it can´t possibly have ben caught properly in the analysis) and some tweaking.
    The amount of paraminophenol is probably close.
    That´s how we updated APH09 in 2004 when we changed it from 1+40 to 1+50 dilution (respective 1+20 to 1+25) in order to level in the developing times with by then Agfa made Rodinal. It only took a few mixings and we got so close that one could easily exchange the two without noticeable adjustments of developing time in the standard dilutions.
    I am sure the competing company has done the same for their "one shot" developer.

The other main difference between APH09/R09 (Foma) is the quality evel of the paraminohenol. This substance can be purchased really cheaply in China but then it looks like coffe. For ADONL we use a specially purified version which is white and absolutely clear on the day of mixing. It then darkens over time in the bottle. But you should get a clearer version o the day of purchase (theoretically).
    APH09 is brown to start with. This is the main reason why it can be made available at a lower price than ADONAL/RODINAL.
    Some people say it matters others say it does not. I prefer the clear version when I look into the kettle but I guess only we at ADOX can make use of this "joy" :-)

Just so I am not misunderstood: I am not saying that the other versions of Rodinal produced by other companies are in any way bad and should not be used.
    I just share my knowledge so you can make your choice based on relevant informations.
    After all we are still offering APH09 ourselves. It´s another choice on the market, so is Fomas R09.
    Ofcourse we welcome any purchase of our RODINAL but I would never expect anyone to discard a bottle of APH09/R09 or whatever now and get RODINAL instead. No need to do that ;-)

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 02-15-2014 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Glass bottles
    Our labels are to some extend repositionable :-)
    The problem with glass bottles lies, ofcourse, in the shipping.
    We could fill and cap them but the styrofoam shipping protecting container runs around 15 USD.
    So rebottling at home is by far the best.
    Whoever wants to print his own Rodinal sticker for home use has my aproval

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perfectly suited 500 ml glass bottle (with teflon-lined cap) for your Rodinal:

That'll get you a dozen, so anyone motivated to do a group buy, start now.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin