Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 875

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Evaluation of the possible production of a new panoramic 120 Camera

The German manufacturer of panoramic camera systems MK and ADOX are evaluating the possibility of producing a new analog medium format 360° panoramic camera.
    Currently we are evaluating the price point. This thread is to get feedback if you think there is a need for such a camera in new condition or if you think the used market serves everyone perfectly.
    Obviously it will not be cheap but on the other hand Leicas have their prices as well.

I know I should tell you the exact price but we need to wait a little for this information.

Mirko
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mk-120_360_lbb.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my needs, this camera would be a complete waste of time, film and money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with you Bruce. Maybe a 180 deg. sweep would be worth checking into.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure there is much of a market for such a product. There are many digital approaches that offer excellent solutions for a variety of panoramic images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I'm not sure there is much of a market for such a product. There are many digital approaches that offer excellent solutions for a variety of panoramic images.
    There may be other digital solutions, but to no greater advantage/disadvantage than alternative digital solutions in any other format. This is just another possible film camera prototype. In brainstorming sessions we usually boot out anyone whose first reaction to a new idea is No.

So are we talking programmable coverage? Where 360-deg is the maximum, but lesser arcs are also doable?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think this is a great idea.
    All new film based products are a good idea, and this camera, for a neiche market that it will serve will help every other element in the business.
    As there are so few, (or none) companies that actually make a med format camera today, let alone a brand new design, i think this could find its place on the shelves (see the Fuji/voightlander folder as example).

I can't say i know too many poeple would actually spend big bucks on a film camera with such a limited field of use, but that does not mean there wount be any at all.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    There may be other digital solutions, but to no greater advantage/disadvantage than alternative digital solutions in any other format.
    Do you have personal experience working with such digital solutions to fully understand the strengths and weaknesses?

To accurately judge the viability of such a possible new produce, one must fully understand the competition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have personal experience working with such digital solutions to fully understand the strengths and weaknesses?

To accurately judge the viability of such a possible new produce, one must fully understand the competition.
    To accurately judge the viability of such a possible new product, one must fully understand the new product. And to do that one must ask questions. That's what good engineers do. Unless, of course, one can divine all of the comparison data required to form a valid judgment by simply looking at a single posted picture.

Before I form and offer an opinion, I need to know just what the thing is, and what it possibly can (and can't) do. It may turn out to have some capability that no digital alternative solution can offer. I don't know. Hence my questions first...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-12-2014 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed a repeated adjective...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

One thing has nothing to do with the other. A film camera will not be "competition" to a similar digital product, they simply two different things on every level.
    There are at least 2 crowd funding projects for a design of a 360 degree ball camera that will give 360 degrees in sphere. Those are not designed for commercial use, so comparing those to a complex camera mount that creates and stitches a spherical image is pointless.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://vr-head.com/english/adox---le...ilm/index.html

The idea of using "off the shelf" Nikon lenses is an excellent one. But clearly this is a very specialized niche product. And I think 360 deg panoramic images are, frankly, a bit of a novelty. So given that novelty factor, I think that the particular advantages of film may not be fully appreciated. I would expect that development and production costs would have to be recovered over a very small number of units sold.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin