Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,091   Online: 792

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Interview

Shooter
    Medium Format

Interview

There is another long thread discussing an interview I gave for the film foundation in Belgium.
    I did not expect this to be discussed so controversial. But if there are any open questions feel free to post them here.

Mirko

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...oxs-mirko.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mirko, thanks for bringing this up. Can you please comment on the hydroquinone ban thing? There are HQ-free developers on the market but I understand it serves as a preservative in light-sensitive emulsions (films, papers) too. What effect would banning hydroquinone have on the photo industry in the EU. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hydroquinone is on the Corap List to be evaluated for elimination. This does not mean it is actually going away but it also means that this might be possible. Most emulsions use Hydroquinone as a stabilizer and if your final product shall have a decent contrast (paper printing for example) hydroquinone is involved in either one or the other way.
    It would have severe impact if the EU was taking it away. I started asking around a bit a few months ago but all people in the industry were pretty relaxed and said:"this wonīt happen- they canīt finish off an entire industry".
    Well spoken and I sure hope it is correct but after all I have heard about the EU I am a bit less optimstic and so I thought it might not be the worse thing to make this a bit more known and have a few more people inquire with the EU. What if they are not aware of what they are doing?

Mirko

NJH

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mirko sorry if this has been asked before but could you see Adox making a high speed film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    could you see Adox making a high speed film?
    In theory yes. We have high speed emulsions on file and actually made some out of curiosity already (to see where we can get to).
    800 to 1600 ASA are possible, not more with current Know How. High speed emulsions are grainy, use a lot of silver and produce an overall inferior image quality. DSLRīs really outrun analog in this category. Because I need to be up to date I also often play with my girlfriendīs Nikon D800 and I must say: Not bad at all in low light conditions. However in bright sunlight film is superior. Thus I see our nexts projects rather in the low ISO range where film can really rock.
    Apart from this we still have Delta 3200.

Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mirko, one of the potential problems I see in the start to finish film equation is darkroom equipment either being very expensive new or going to the landfill.

So It strikes me as an opportunity for someone to seek out the free or cheap equipment, refurbish it and sell it in great working condition. For example, as one could do with old cameras, they can not only be repaired but made to look really beautiful, like works of art in of them selves, old beaten blue Beseler 23C's restored and painted bronze or fire engine red. Old cars are often restored to look better than new as a form of artistic expression, it seems rather odd that the same is not being done to a greater degree with film cameras and not at all with darkroom equipment.

Do you see a future issue with a lack of available darkroom equipment in order for the true analog experience to be realized in the final print and if so, what should happen to help prevent a shortage of this hardware?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps you can tell us the status of CHS II in 120? It's very useful when a film is available in all the formats one use.

I'm btw. regularly using several of your products, especially Silvermax and MCC 110. Great film and great paper.

NJH

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Mirko, it was an alternative to D3200 I was thinking of just because well there isn't any alternative is there any more? I don't shoot indoors often but when I do I am up around 800 to 1600. I prefer to try and use film only from now on rather than mix systems. The point about supporting equipment in the process is a good one. I intend to buy your FX-39 by the way to give me something a bit different I can use at home to the ID-11 my lab uses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mirko,

what was the status with Fotokemika on the end? Did you succeed to get any equipment from Samobor? They are still producing X-ray films? If yes - maybe to include it in fotoimpex store?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are the technical hurdles involved in producing a true IR film? We are often told that it is nearly impossible to manufacture such a film. Yet it has obviously been done before. Are there new restrictions today constraining the use of older existing ingredients from the past? Or possibly have some required older ingredients simply become impossible to source?

Is such a product even technically possible to manufacture today? Would it be sufficiently marketable today if it was possible to manufacture?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin