Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,100   Posts: 1,636,399   Online: 1102

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122 LastLast
    K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news and a great work by Mirko and his team ! I look forward to the day when I can have my pre-ordered papers delivered.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder what the lith possibilities will be??
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "On the big coater rehearsed hands will plug the pipes."

This sounds dangerous. Better be careful with your fingers.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There has been a recent update http://www.polywarmtone.com/Blog/English.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would hope for research purposes they have some prints made on fresh Polywarmtone back when it was still made, and the negatives they were printed from. If not, I'm sure we could help them get it. Although there would be some uncontrollable variables like enlarger and lens, it would probably be better than comparing new PW prints with prints made today on 7 year old paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I would hope for research purposes they have some prints made on fresh Polywarmtone back when it was still made, and the negatives they were printed from. If not, I'm sure we could help them get it. Although there would be some uncontrollable variables like enlarger and lens, it would probably be better than comparing new PW prints with prints made today on 7 year old paper.

One would think so. However, unlike other b/w fb papers, Forte PWT had neither optical brighteners nor incorporated developers. I have a rather large stash of this paper and it prints today the same as it did ten years ago - same exposure times, same emergence time in the developer. There's no change in image tone either.

I can't think of any other paper currently available that does not have these "improvements". When they do, like the ilford FB papers, you'll be lucky to get more than a few years out of stash before it turns.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting point you make about the inverse correlation between longevity and the inclusion of optical brighteners and incorporated developers in such papers as Ilford FB.

Can you say what you believe to be the link between lack of longevity and incorporated developers and optical brighteners?

Perhaps Ilford might care to comment on its findings in these respects?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm fairly sure Simon Galley has stated the ILFORD papers do not contain incorporated developers.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's odd because I seem to recall people complaining that PWT tone changed with age. Maybe it stabilized after X amount of time

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Interesting point you make about the inverse correlation between longevity and the inclusion of optical brighteners and incorporated developers in such papers as Ilford FB.

Can you say what you believe to be the link between lack of longevity and incorporated developers and optical brighteners?

Perhaps Ilford might care to comment on its findings in these respects?

pentaxuser

I have several stockpiles of PWT purchased at different times from before and after the discontinuance. I've never witnessed fogging with this paper due to age. Apparently Ilford denies using incorporated developers despite users' discovery to the contrary (revisit this thread... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...ted-paper.html). As for OBA's, I have no conclusive evidence however there are ample reports online suggesting that they are present in Ilford papers (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/photocomm...?TOPIC_ID=5420).

In any event, I know what I know, I see what I see and my old stash of Ilford mg warmtone was corked after a few years in cold storage while the PWT still prints the same with emergence times in the 35-40" range. I haven't noticed any drastic (or even subtle for that matter) change in print color either.

Clearly the inclusion of these extra chemicals in a paper's emulsion causes degradation. Not having a background in photo chemistry, I can't tell you why it happens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin