Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,083   Online: 989

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: MCC is back !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    in regards to my previous comment that MCC seems thinner than MGIV, yesterday i was using a new 25 pack of 8x10 MG Warmtone and it also felt thinner than MGIV. by thinner i dont mean worse, i actually like the way MGWT, MC110, and ADOX VT feel, but MGIV def. feels like a thicker, more robust paper.

"That doesn't say much. I can easily feel a significant difference between MCC, K-888, and ADOX FP Vario Classic."

I recently had the opportunity to measure, after processsing, 12 different b/w papers currently available.

With a micrometer, the difference among papers was not more than .005 in.

I went back and looked at my notes and I stand corrected: the difference I meant to say was .0005, ie 1/2 of 1 thousandth, BUT that was a mistake--the difference is actually .001, ie 1 thousandth.

MCC at .0115, Vario at.0105. the .0105 represents the thinner of all the papers (several at this thickness) and the .0115 the thickest, tho a few papers are actually .01155 (Fotokemika and MGIV)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    MCC at .0115, Vario at.0105. the .0105 represents the thinner of all the papers (several at this thickness) and the .0115 the thickest, tho a few papers are actually .01155 (Fotokemika and MGIV)
    Wait a sec here. The Adox Fineprint VC I have in the darkroom right now is absolutely thicker than MCC. You don't even need a micrometer to feel this. I'm talking about this paper: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12882-...ssy?cat_id=503

Granted, micrometers are pretty damn accurate, but something doesn't seem right to me here with these measurements.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A new package of MCC 11x14 arrived Friday. I could swear that the paper is thinner than the previous month's batch. Also, the paper is cut the other direction. Instead of the short ends of the paper curling in, the longer sides now curl. I won't mention the 1/16 of a stop difference in sensitivity...
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

"Granted, micrometers are pretty damn accurate, but something doesn't seem right to me here with these measurements."

What can I say? Measurements are just that, but I know what you mean---out of the box, Varycon felt miles thicker than any other paper, but
    when measured the difference just wasn't that much. That said, we can obviously perceive .001 pretty easily in a feel test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mirko, tolle nachrichten! Gibt es einen Haendler in Australien?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MCC is back !

FYI: in case others haven't noticed yet - ADOX is now offering MCC in 5x7 25 sht packs through Freestyle.

Saves the hassle of cutting down larger sizes. I've already picked up a few packs myself.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi!

Can we expect a price drop on this paper sometime soon? Or more economical boxing? I feel it is expensive compared to other quality papers. Almost twice as expensive as Kentmere Fineprint FB and 30% more expensive than Ilford MGIV FB.

I've been comparing prices for 50 sheets 12x16" inch at ag-photographic.co.uk which have good prices for MCC.
    Last edited by StigHagen; 11-19-2010 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm not happy about the price either, but it is so much better that I can justify it.

ken
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a 125 sheets twice, not again. I'm out of that market until we see it in 100 sheet boxes. Nice as it is, it's a form of price gouging.

There are other good B&W papers out there, without the small box premium.

My 2 cents.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin