Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,467   Online: 859

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: MCC is back !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike maybe they are following the Kodak model of a few sheets for a higher price. I prefer my 11x14 in 50 sheet boxes and 8x10 in 100 sheet boxes. Mike what would you consider to be the one top 'other' paper?

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't have a specific brand in mind, just know a lot of people use something other than MCC. I'll probably buy RC and look to freestyle, buy a couple brands, and give them a test run.

I have used Agfa papers and had an inventory gap before the revised paper came out. Used some Kodak RC IV I got off Ebay to fill that gap. That's not much of an option now.

Just doesn't feel right being poked with the small packages.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MCC is back ? Oh, printing paper, I thought at first you were referring to the Marylebone Cricket Club, which is a more common abbreviation of M.C.C. in the UK.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-23-2010 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dear Ol' Blighty is a wondrous isle, Ben, full of merry cricket gnomes.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The savings of a box of 100 sheets as opposed to 4 boxes of 25 sheets is exactly 1,90 EUR. Does anyone really care about this ?

All other price rebates which were present in the past were "political" rebates which were cut from the markup of the manufacturer.

Today there is no such markup left for the manufacturer which would enable us to continue this price model. We also can´t do anything if currencies suddenly drop like the UKP in 2009 or the USD recently.

It is a mystery to me how Ilford is getting along with this right now and for the time beeing we will be more expensive in certain markets.

We make a very small margin on our papers (less than 15%) and we will keep it that way. If we were acting in the "old style" we would also go bankrupt like Agfa, Forte and all the others.

Times are different now. Things are not like they were. Prices too.

Kind regards,

Mirko

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's good to see that kind of thinking! Make a fair profit and stay in the business because you want to and provide a quality product. That gives us all choices and keeps the medium alive. This is the sort of idea I was talking about in my Kodachrome post earlier today.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Mirko,

With a margin of less than 15% there is no place for old style extravaganzas. The hard reailty is that if you want something to be around, you have to buy it. Or as in your case, make it.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format

Knowing the price of all things and the value of none...

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    ...I'm out of that market until we see it in 100 sheet boxes...
    Sure seems like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. Especially given the "huge" potential savings Mirko explains in post #65!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welp, it was too long anyway, and I'm sure it's not the only decent paper out there.

$9.00 times 6 boxes a year equals $54.00. $54.00 times five years equals $270 USD. Still not a lot, but some principle is involved.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    100 sheet boxes of 8x10 would be nice, but I will certainly continue to buy the paper in the 25 sheet packages.

Roger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin