Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,185   Online: 798

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: MCC is back !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    ...$9.00 times 6 boxes a year equals $54.00. $54.00 times five years equals $270 USD. Still not a lot, but some principle is involved...
    Not following the math. xe.com converts the 1.9 Euro Mirko quoted to $2.55. That would be the savings per 100 sheets if it were packaged in a 100-sheet box rather than 4 25-sheet envelopes. How many hundred sheets are you saying you'd use per year / five years? What would the price difference be?

Other than "frugality," what principle is involved?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's just say they aren't offering the package option I'm looking for, a good FB paper in a 100 sheet box at a reasonable discount to a 25 sheet box. (actually I'd really prefer 250 or 500 sheet boxes like Kodak used to sell). So, I'll try other manufacturers products to see how they compare. I'll probably start with Foma FB since they have become a partner with APUG.

If you go above and look at my 7/27/09 post, in this thread, you'll see I was asking for a 250 sheet box then.

If you check Freestyle prices from other manufacturers, there is a considerably bigger price difference between 25 and 100 sheet boxes than is suggested above. Maybe the way they manage their business, or the profit they require, doesn't make 100 sheet (or larger) boxes acceptable to them. That's their business, not mine.

A free marketplace is good for consumers and companies that are lean and competitive.

Mike
    Last edited by mikebarger; 11-23-2010 at 09:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike,

did thoughts about why Kodak purposely pulled out of paper manufacturing ever come cross your mind when you are asking for their price structure and 250 sheet boxes to come back allive ?
    We manufacture boxes of 100 sheets. The discount as opposed to 4x25 sheets is about 2 Dollars.
    I guess thatīs why freestyle is not carrying them. We donīt save more per box than packaging and black bags.

Mirko
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 11-24-2010 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mirko,

Sure, I know I’m one of the few individuals left that would buy a 250 sheet box of a paper, they like, for the savings vs. smaller boxes. I’d even like a 500 sheet box.

Kodak works on a very large volume and I’m sure when sales got to a certain point they pulled the plug and invested that capital somewhere to earn a larger profit than what paper would provide them. I understand that, and I’d do the same.

I like your product, but I prefer to buy larger boxes at a discount to the small box price. If it doesn’t make business sense for you to sell a 100 sheet box of paper at a discount to the small box, I’m fine with that.

However, there still are paper manufacturers that manage their business in such a way they can sell a 100 sheet box at a significant discount to their 25 sheet box.

I’ve decided to try a couple different brands and see what happens. I may like them, or I may say what the heck, and return to buying your product in small boxes.

In any event, I do wish you well in your venture.

Mike
    Last edited by mikebarger; 11-24-2010 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike,

Maybe we should have raised the price for 25 sheet boxes in order to offer "political savings" on 100 sheet boxes.

But on the other hand thatīs just not how we like to do business.

Letīs see what the future brings.

Thanks,

Mirko

BTW Fomafoto has nothing to do with Foma Bohemia SRO.
    Last edited by ADOX Fotoimpex; 11-24-2010 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not know there was a difference, thanks for the heads up. Just assumed Foma in the name made it one outfit.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I get one sheet? It's all I need to see if it's worth the cost of a 25 sheet box. Seriously though what the heck happened to Oriental that caused it to be so bad and why haven't they fix it?

I used a bunch of 120 roll film on the last trip, the rolls were Adox 25 CHS, I knew it was prone to defects and wasn't disappointed, I exposed numerous frames on of each scene on each roll. Sure enough there they were small pinholes and small black things, intermittently on the film. I've used Adox since the 1970's and all from Freestyle, it seems that the film goes through periods of maladjustments.

Now with Ilford and Kodak and now Rollei Pan 25, not a problem, same developer and same method of development, flaw free film. I never had a roll of Panatomic X that was bad or had a defect, beat that for quality control. I'm a believer so I'm sticking to Ilford film and some Rollei Pan 25. The Fuji Acros 100 is clean, neat and dries flat, that a plus in my book, and it's also inexpensive as things go and like Kodak and Ilford is the other film that's available at B&H, Adorama, and Freestyle plus others and not, that's not just available at Freestyle.

As for paper I'm giving serious consideration to Ilford MG**, I've tried a few of the current papers and some are just flat and lifeless. Of course there is nothing like a Carbon Transfer print, the ultimate print.

Freestyle is a five star business and I appreciate all the company has done for me all these years. Adorama has been stellar in my opinion and I will continue to buy from them. I've not had a problem with B&H either.

So the op said MCC is back, I wasn't a big user of it before it was gone the first time, perhaps I was busy with Oriental like AA and others suggested.

I think one reason why it might be requested from the manufacturer in 25 sheet boxes is when the end buyer sees the cost of a 100 sheet box they might have sticker shock.

There is another solution, use AZO, now gone but some can be had second hand, or Lodima from Michael Smith, it's a high quality contact printing paper, the only drawback or a plus as the case may go, is that it is a contact printing paper so those who projection print, enlarge, are out of luck unless they shoot at a size that they want for the final image. Now we are talking about Edward Weston and not Ansel Adams.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like your product, but I prefer to buy larger boxes at a discount to the small box price.
    I think the possible price differences between let's say 25, 50 and 100 sheet boxes offered to please the customer would be outrun by an overall increase in prices due to the increase in stock and shortfall costs which must be accounted for in the end user prices. The possible savings by buying larger boxes would be pure illusion then.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you check prices at FS; it's not that way with some other manufacturers.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you check prices at FS; it's not that way with some other manufacturers.

Mike
    You definitely can not know as long as they do not communicate their calculation.

Ulrich

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin