Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,865   Online: 892

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: APX 400

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless there's been a huge breakthrough/improvement in emulsion technology, 120 APX 400 doesn't compare very favorably with Kodak TMax400(TMY-2).

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Unless there's been a huge breakthrough/improvement in emulsion technology, 120 APX 400 doesn't compare very favorably with Kodak TMax400(TMY-2).
    It depends on what one wants in their image. It's also nice to have choices. One day (soon?) the big yellow K will decide they don't want to sell TMY-2 anymore and we will be glad there's APX 400.

"Variety is the spice of life" - author unkown
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I think we all owe a debt of gratetuide to Mirko for having faith in traditional photography and bringing out new materials, we might all be gratefull to have it one day,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with R gould. I'm quite excited for any kind of new analog product that is not strictly lomo :-)
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasis View Post
    Mirko, it is great that apx400 is being introduced! I guess this is similar to Tmax. How good is iso push ability up to 3200? (with D76 and rodinal)

I was meaning to ask you about other alternative. I think CHS 100 is very interesting, how about produce iso 400 of this? Is it possible? It would be nice to have choice similar to Trix which offers easy iso push ability with look of typical grains.

Anyway, Im excited for new things!
    I don't know about this new stuff, but APX400 in the old days was nothing like TMAX, which is why I loved it so

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    It depends on what one wants in their image. It's also nice to have choices. One day (soon?) the big yellow K will decide they don't want to sell TMY-2 anymore and we will be glad there's APX 400.

"Variety is the spice of life" - author unkown
    Indeed. Re: The Future. Your guess is no better than mine but I'm really more involved with the final image than in how it's captured. I doubt I'll be bothering with film if/when it becomes an artisanal product. I suspect Kodak will be around for a bit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    I don't know about this new stuff, but APX400 in the old days was nothing like TMAX, which is why I loved it so
    ok maybe they are different. Im more concerned with look of grain. T-type grain (refined at smaller level) and classic grain (more groove), also ability to push ISO. I have used old apx400 and apx100 and find them indeed different as you said. They are hard to push over also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Mirko.

So, this batch is slower and foggier.

How much cheaper will it be than the emulsion that will eventually be used, and what speed is it in the end? 200/24?
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-06-2010 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasis View Post
    ok maybe they are different. Im more concerned with look of grain. T-type grain (refined at smaller level) and classic grain (more groove), also ability to push ISO. I have used old apx400 and apx100 and find them indeed different as you said. They are hard to push over also.
    VERY different indeed...APX400 is (was) ISO250 at best but the grain is superb in my opinion, especially with Rodinal.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Indeed. Re: The Future. Your guess is no better than mine but I'm really more involved with the final image than in how it's captured. I doubt I'll be bothering with film if/when it becomes an artisanal product. I suspect Kodak will be around for a bit.
    Might as well just pack up your stuff and go now then.

WRT to APX400, it's an entirely different film than TMY. APX has always been like that and that's why people like it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin