Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,882   Online: 957

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: APX 400

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Might as well just pack up your stuff and go now then.

WRT to APX400, it's an entirely different film than TMY. APX has always been like that and that's why people like it.
    Why? There's lots of Kodak b&w film available in my area, so no need to get excited about doomsday rescue operations. Not into survivalist anxiety about the future of film, either. Can't imagine why I'd bother with the "new" 120 APX400 when TMY-2 works so well. Shot any TMY-2 yet, clayne?
    Last edited by CGW; 10-06-2010 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mirko,

Any estimate as when the new APX400 will be available in 120 as I am running low on Fuji Neopan.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I hope Adox APX400 is better than AgfaPhoto APX 400...

Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    The first coating was our first run on the big machine.
    We undershot our target by about 1/2 to 1 F-Stop so we started touching the emulsions again and this is the reason for the current delay.

The film is usable and not worse than 5 year old APX out there but base fogg will be lower and speed will be increased in the final product.

Kind regards,

Mirko
    I am finding that the "true" film speed of the "last gasp" AgfaPhoto-produced APX 400 is not ISO 400. This is based on testing of film that has been carefully refrigerated and stored. I cannot safely expose that film at EI 400 even when shot in flat light and developed in Ilford DD-X. That film also lacks sharpness and seems to require extended development time to reach "normal" contrast levels.

I do not believe this simply a case of the film being old because the base fog levels do not seem elevated.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format

Speed concern already addressed

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I am finding that the "true" film speed of the "last gasp" AgfaPhoto-produced APX 400 is not ISO 400...That film also...seems to require extended development time to reach "normal" contrast levels...
    In post #36, Mirko discussed film speed of the final product. Posts closely following that one covered developement. Bottom line: Rodinal 1+25 should require "average" times, while Rodinal 1+50 will be "long" like the final APX 400 batch, if not exactly the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    In post #36, Mirko discussed film speed of the final product. Posts closely following that one covered developement. Bottom line: Rodinal 1+25 should require "average" times, while Rodinal 1+50 will be "long" like the final APX 400 batch, if not exactly the same time.
    Yes, I read that; there was a reformulation of APX 400 in 2003.

But I have also heard that the AgfaPhoto (the very short-lived spinoff of the consumer film division which lasted only from late-2004 into mid-2005) batches of APX 400 did not perform as the data sheets accompanying the 2003 reformulation would indicate. The very last batches produced by AgfaPhoto seemed to have less contrast, film speed, and sharpness than the product produced from the introduction of the reformulated film until (maybe) late 2004.

I have heard varying stories as to the problems - even once hearing that AgfaPhoto's by-then-worn-out emulsion "kettle" had to be hastily repaired and adjustments made due to that.

The results of my own experience with rolls from the very last batch of AgfaPhoto APX 400 is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...apx-400-a.html

I am certainly open to purchasing the ADOX APX 400, but it will need to perform a great deal better than that last batch.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems like the test run Adox Pan 400 has gone from the Fotoimpex site. Is the "real" film coming?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF

When will it be available?

Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post

As most of you probably know we are reintroducing a new and updated version of (...the film which once was known as...) APX 400 this year.

It will be called ADOX PAN 400.

Mirko
    It is Feb. 2011. When will Adox Pan 400 be available in the US? I have not been able to find it.

Roger Pellegrini NYC
    When a man forgets how to use his hands, he becomes hopelessly lost in his head.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any updates at all on what's going on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked the folks at Freestyle, and they say that the test batch did not perform as well as hoped. So there is more work to be done, and that research is in progress.

This was just last week when I asked, but I do not know when they got word.

To the credit of ADOX there is not going to be a release of substandard film.

I guess waiting for it to be good is better than rushing it and being bad.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, I think they did sell the substandard film for a reduced price through a Europen Website. The man from Adox who posts here had a thread about it at some point...or was it at the beginning of this thread?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin