Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 656

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Adox MC110 Quality Control

This by no means is a rant on this product, in fact it is my favorite paper to date, but i do have one thing to mention.

ABout a month after it first came out i ordered a 25 sheet 8x10 pack to try it out. i instantly fell in love, the tonal range is gorgeous and i prefer it to MGIV and MGWT. However, in that pack, there were maybe 4 or 5 sheets of the 25 with dark lines along the veryyyy edge and in one case a spot of emulsion had come off.

This leades me to my current issue. I have a spring review coming up for school where we put up 10 prints, unmatted, on the wall, for critiquing by all art faculty. Of course, i decided it was worth it to splurge on some mc110 for this. I ordered a 25 sheet 11x14 box to make the 7/10 b&w prints i am putting up. So i start printing, everythings fine, then i notice the black line on the edge of the paper, not every edge, always one edge of the paper.

i tried it without exposing the paper and just putting an unexposed test strip in the developer, flipping the paper in the easel, it was always the same side. Now, the box was factory sealed till it got inside the darkroom that day so it leads me to conclude its a factory problem, ontop of the fact that ive seen it before. i will still be putting up the prints, 4/7 i believe have this faint but visible line accross the top edge, but it does bother me that such a wonderful paper has this annoying problem. matting the prints wouldsolve it but thats not an excuse.

Ill try to get a picture of what im talking about but i can imagine im not the first one to have this problem. on some sheets its more than others, very straight line, not as if the paper has been fogged, it seems like it happened when the sheets were cut since its all on the same edge. i dont know really.

Any help is appreciated!
    And thank you to adox for coming out with a new b&w paper that more than happy to pay the premium for.

-Robert

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried this paper (went through 4 packages of 25 sheets of 8x10), liked the tonality, and didn't personally experience any flaws. Nevertheless, my personal view at this point is that since I can get the Ilford papers to do what I need them to do, I really prefer to use only Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji products now (although I must admit I have also used alot of Oriental paper over the past few years and never had a quality issue). Given the market is so much smaller than it once was, when it comes to quality control, batch-to-batch consistency etc Ilford, Kodak and Fuji are the leaders. I know what I'm going to get every time, and the products are relatively easy to get. Now obviously when it comes specifically to black and white paper, the choice is extremely limited since it means I only have Ilford products to choose from. That's way too limiting for most people, especially people doing all sorts of multiple toning and alternative stuff, but for anyone looking for a "standard" neutral toned paper I'd still suggest Ilford will give you the best quality and consistency. With the right toning combinations Ilford papers (MGIV and WT) can also be quite flexible. There was a lengthy discussion thread on this recently with some interesting test results, particularly on how to get neutral or cooler tones out of MGWT.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It is the paper I use most and yes, I've had some of the same issues. It hasn't stopped me from using it but it's worth mentioning. Quality control may be an issue but beggars can't be choosers, I guess. Film, on the other hand, have tried a few times but gave up, as I was rarely happy with the inconsistent results which I know for sure have nothing to do with my processing routines. Like I've said though, I am happy I can still shoot film and have a few great choices of paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using the Adox MCC 110 in different sizes for over a year now,
    and didn't experience any flaws.
    The results are nearly identical with the old Agfa Multicontrast Classic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone raves about this paper but I have yet to try any.
    I hope this is an isolated issue.

The days of Kodak quality are disappearing.

Can you get the "black line" into the border area and then trim it?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    You should contact Mirko from Fotoimpex who made this paper. Send him an email, or better, give him a call.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=brucemuir;1160210]

QUOTE]

What are you referring to here? Have you noticed flaws in Kodak film or chemistry?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Michael R 1974;1160283]
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post

QUOTE]

What are you referring to here? Have you noticed flaws in Kodak film or chemistry?
    No Michael, I was merely lamenting the fact that Kodak makes no BW paper anymore and the films are dwindling also.

You could alway rely on them as far a QC was concerned. No guessing, No reports of either scratched emulsions or cruddy backing paper with 120 film.

I love the Eastern European products for their uniqueness but it seems these types of complaints are far too common.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Everyone raves about this paper but I have yet to try any.
    I hope this is an isolated issue.

Can you get the "black line" into the border area and then trim it?
    i dont get what you mean about getting it into the border area, its on the very edge of the paper, i could trim it but i prefer not to trim it in order to keep all my paper size and image size identical.

ill try and get a photo this week since my prints are at school right now.

Also, i use adorama house paper for all my work prints for 8x10 and actually prefer it to MGIV personally. not to rag on MGIV but its too cool and harsh for my taste. i know toning can take care of that but i print in a darkroom where there are 18 other enlargers so the chemicals haveto work for everyone.

ill contact fotoimpex, anyone have a phone number/email handy?

Thank you

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kauffman v36 View Post
    [...] its on the very edge of the paper, [...]
    Do I understand this correct, the black line is where the paper has been cut?
    This happens, it is due to the silver halides being "exposed" by pressure.
    My Agfa MCP has this rather often. A careful rub along the edge while the print is in the water removes it easily.

To contact Fotoimpex: www.adox.de or www.fotoimpex.de
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin