Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,098   Online: 1251

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why are Freestyle's international postage rights so high?

Just looked into ordering a couple of Air-Vac bottles. Because of the strength of the Australian Dollar and the ridiculous markup of Australian retailers the price per bottle worked out being about half the cost of buying locally.

So that's awesome. Decided to order two bottles.

How much is shipping?

~$160

That's about twice what B&H charged me to ship the massive box of film and a Plustek Scanner just last month.

So why such a high price for two 1L bottles?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Conspiracy.

Email them and sort it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charge is by cubic volume, not weight and set by the freight carriers e.g. UPS. Same with Freestyle as with B&H. Savings on film purchase is best accomplished by doing it as part of a group; this has been done before here on APUG. That way freight cost, which will be substantial, is spread move evenly over the numbers. There is agreement among APUG members that film is generally the least brutal financially to get in.

The conspiracy is here with Australian retailers, not the overseas ones. I do not buy film here now, preferring to join an APUG group planning such a purpose. Chemicals and fragile stuff (glass for example) cost a fortune for freight, so keep it to just film.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to buy more from Freestyle, however their shipping is too high. It's always cheaper from B&H. I think Freestyle add a hefty packing and handling charge for international.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not to mention the 'First order via Wire transfer payment' rule.

I have to admit, $160 for your items is a total jip. I placed a $700 order that weighed in at just over 8kg and the shipping was $160. The only reason we went with Freestyle was the better choice they had. I think if I have to order oddball stuff in the future(I.E., Adox consumables), I will be looking at AG in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If its any comfort Freestyle does use the top USPS service, the consignment will be with you in an Australian city area very, very quickly.

Unfortunately they don't use a lower speed and priced shipper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not just Freestyle who gouge shipping prices - they could be more flexible and give you the choice of UPS or USPS. And yes, all the other retailers could be so inclined, but I think they find it too hard - UPS will collect from the premises, USPS will require someone to head to the Post Office. (Although I don't quite understand why shipping OS is any different to local - it all has to go to the same PO right?)

I wanted to pick up a used, clear, rear cap for my Tamron 180mm lens from another retailer - a very reasonable $9.00 which I was happy to pay. That was, until I got to the checkout - $68 for shipping??!! Are they crazy?

I fully appreciate that shipping does take time, but expecting someone to pay $68 for an item that would be lucky to weigh 100g is beyond a joke - it's an outright insult.

Insurance problems? Easy, you get it it insured or you don't - choice is yours and you state that fact upon checkout. (A rear cap, I wouldn't bother with, a lens I most certainly would.)

Courier vs Postal Service? - having a choice would be nice guys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Charge is by cubic volume, not weight and set by the freight carriers e.g. UPS. Same with Freestyle as with B&H.

The box I received from B&H was MASSIVE and only cost me $82. Freestyle postage rates must either include some sort of crazy markup or some sort of miscalculation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Freestyle overseas charges, to Malaysia at least, are 'way over the top'. And I'm being kind with my words here. I have since ordered from Macodirect and B&H, for stuff that can be found there, and shipping is more reasonable in both cases. For buying Moersch chemicals I currently order directly from Moersch's site and, for me, cheaper as well.

Mansur
    Last edited by chioque; 11-03-2011 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chioque View Post
    Yes Freestyle overseas charges, to Malaysia at least, are 'way over the top'. And I'm being kind with my words here. I have since ordered from Macodirect and B&H, for stuff that can be found there, and shipping is more reasonable in both cases. For buying Moersch chemicals I currently order directly from Moersch's site and, for me, cheaper as well.

Mansur
    Hey thanks! I'm also from Malaysia and found Freestyle's shipping a tad ridiculous as well, I thought they were the cheapest online. Guess I was wrong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin