Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,472   Online: 967

Shooter
    35mm

Slow shutter speeds - waterfalls etc..

Hi, as I shoot film, after research, I found that all (?) of the solid ND filters have a cast. So how do you guys use ND filters? Do you just shoot early/late in the day and use slow film and maybe cheaper slower lenses that allows you to stop down to f/22 and maybe a weak ND filter and a CPOl perhaps?

I have this with my supposedly B+W filter, not sure if it is what is expected.
    6 stop http://www.flickr.com/photos/31194022@N00/6697896961/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably film effects, rather than from the spectrum of the filter. Your images demonstrate that the three colored emulsions on your film don't have the same reciprocity characteristics.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just tend to overexpose by a stop, or a half stop if using slide. My knowledge with colour films is limited though as I only really use black & white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use slower film and if I have them with me ND filters. If the waterfalls fills most of the frame, start with 1/4 second or 1/2 second. As the waterfall becomes a smaller part of the photograph, I suggest that you lengthen the exposure time accordingly.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    A different approach (and effect) that you might like to try out is multiple exposures of the waterfall on a single piece of film. For example instead of exposing at 2sec @ f 22 try 8 exposures at 1/4 sec at f22. Both Wynn Bullock and John Blakemore have used this technique to great effect. I was also very pleased with the resulting images when, many moons ago, I used to do in the field landscapes.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin