Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,075   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im more interested in predicting sunrises, I hate getting up before sunrise drive to a spot then go bugger and turn around to go home because the sunrise was a fizzer. At least with a sunset your already up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The season, weather (prevailing atmospherics e.g. stable warm to hot weather, approaching change, upper level troughs...), atmospheric pollution and timing all play crucial roles. This past summer here in Victoria, Australia has been patently lousy for sunrise and sunset photography. Almost always put down to prevailing unsuitable weather conditions e.g. lingering bands of cloud at the horizon, sea fog, dust or smoke from bushfires/burning off.

Deserts and isolated beaches with large tracts of ocean can be good places to predict powerful sunset and sunrise, but you must do your research on sunrise and sunset times. Full moon times have usually provided me with excellent opportunities to fit subject to sunset but less frequently sunrises: I'm usually tucked up in my sleeping bag when the sun bobs up, LOL!

Going out there with a preconceived idea of what you will come back with is bound to disappoint you. Personally I favour the outback or northern latitudes (in Australia) for sunrise and sunsets. In the south, at this time getting close to winter, sunsets are poor.

• Sunset, Norman Bay, Wilsons Promontory National Park, Victoria, February 1988 ©
    (Kodachrome 200 tranny; Canon T90 w/FD 28-105 f3.5; this night marked the end of a prolonged hot spell and it was much cooler on following days.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WilsonsPromFeb1988.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	395.0 KB 
ID:	50649

• Nine years later, in the same place...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WilsonsPromSunset1997.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	50650

Yup! You gotta have patience in this game...
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-08-2012 at 02:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To find incredible sunsets, always have B&W film in the camera and no color film on your person.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    To find incredible sunsets, always have B&W film in the camera and no color film on your person.

Or better yet, just no camera at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    Can't say how many time I've been in the mts and nice clouds, nice red sun going down. Then poof, the sun just goes down.
    Some days no clouds, no nice sunset.
    Some days great big white clouds, boring sunset.

Any way to predict when theres going to be a nice big orange,red,yellow,...sunset we all like?
    What produces one? thanks
    ez
    Isn't There An App For That ?

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 05-08-2012 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For me it’s a 70% success rate. What I look for are high clouds with a clearhorizion. That way the rising sun can illuminate the bottom of the clouds. I normally try to be at the site at least30-45 minutes before sunrise. But sometimes when on vacation you just have to take what you can get
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1737.jpg   DSC_1723.jpg   DSC_2971.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't there a filter or PS action for that?

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Isn't There An App For That ?

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Proximity to a recently erupted volcano helps ensure dramatic color. After Mt. St. Helens erupted we had spectacular sun set/rise for quite some time!

Shooter
    35mm
    I use this -

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/satellite/

when in the air and on the ground

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterthejedi View Post
    Move to New Mexico, problem solved. lol
    The sunsets in Bodie California, a ghost town in arrested decay, are quite often spectacular, however the sun rises are not very good because the sun is well up before it emerges from behind the mountains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodie,_California http://www.bodie.com/

The sunrises on Haleakala, Muai, Hawaii are definitely worth getting up early and driving up 10,023 feet (3055 m) above sea level to see. http://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin