Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,105   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But does that make it a good photo, or a $ value photo?
    That was precisely my point. I was questioning the OP's definition of "good".

In the modern USA, good and valuable are synonymous; any question of aesthetics is moot.

Would Moonrise Hernandez be considered "good" in a less commercialized society?
    That was the essence of my reply.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it both interesting and beautiful.

As I have seen so many reproductions of it, it has lost most of its ability to "surprise", but it remains effective and strong.

In this world where hype is everywhere, it seems to me to be able to stand on its own, despite having received more than its share.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't and don't think it is, but it is by Ansel which many people like.
    While I think that it is well executed, I do not care for it nor am I excited about it. It is one of Ansel Adams' that I just do not care for; while many others of his I like and appreciate more.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I understand what he saw, driving down the road, as he described it. The sun on the crosses and the buildings.

But by the time he stopped, set up the camera, and took the shot, the moment was gone. His attempt to recreate that magic
    from a negative that was poorly exposed (his assessment) and lacking the required contrast was not entirely successful (IMO).

We've all experienced that moment when the sun's reflection is perfect, and the subject lights up as if on fire, then it's gone.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 09-01-2012 at 07:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Ansel Adams, who could beat us all to death with prehistoric equipment and supplies, was extremely excited about this scene..We're all trolling critics and Ansel was an artist..if you don't get it, figure out why you aren't smart enough..EC
    So, are we all supposed to like beets, okra, and Stephen Shore's work too?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    So, are we all supposed to like beets...
    I like beets.

Oh... Did you mean that we should like photographs of beets???

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I like beets.

Oh... Did you mean that we should like photographs of beets???

- Leigh
    At least it's only one outta the three.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm ambivalent about okra, and I don't know Stephen Shore at all, so I decided to restrict my comments.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if green peppers were included then that would include Ed Weston.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, no one's opinion matters but yours in the judgement of things you want to look at.
    If you like it, then it's good, if not, then it isn't. I have this conversation often with my wife. That you may not like something that lots of other people do doesn't make your opinion invalid. Vive la difference!

As for that particular photo, I happen to like it, FWIW. Interestingly, earlier this year I went to a talk by John Sexton, and he showed two examples of that photograph, one was a straight print, the other was what we're all familiar with. As noted earlier, the straight print is awful. It's a good lesson in how important the final rendering of a negative into a print is.
    (assuming you like the picture in the first place )
    Last edited by bdial; 09-01-2012 at 09:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin