Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,719   Online: 960

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I think it is because it is a very gentle and poetic form of memento mori.

The moon, which is the "star" of the picture, lits the clouds behind it. In front of it, a village sleeps peacefully. In front of it, the white crosses of the countryside cemetery shine under the moon.

This can give a shiver. The motif of death which is waiting for all of us, and the immensity, the beauty of the nature where it all belongs and it all goes back. The crosses of the cemetery silently "talking" to the moon while the men are asleep. The great eye of God looking at the world, or looking after the world. The contrast between the immensity of the world, of nature, and the smallness of the human events. Each of those crosses was a life, a person full of hope, and anxiety, and joy, and sorrow, and now it's a cross under the moon in an immense plane. And yet, it's as if those crosses are in touch, in harmony with the moon, with the great all. It's not a sad thought which is raised, it's a consolatory one.

At first this is just a nocturne shot. Then it becomes raising some sensations which are not necessarily rationalised as I am doing above.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You bring a good example Fabrizio.

The connection we have with any photo depends on our emotional and spiritual connection with the subject. It seems to me that you connect with Moonrise.

To an atheist who sees similar scenes driving home from work once a month, like me, Ansel's Moonrise seems pretty blasé. Definately no shiver, unless it's cold outside.

I've spent most of my life tramping around Ansel's photographic world. Most of his subject matter is just of places where I've lived, played, and worked.

I do very much understand that Ansel was highly skilled, my interest in his work though is technical, not artistic or emotional.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To the OP, cliveh, have you seen an actual print of this from Adams (not a repro) in person? Fortunately I have the Andrew Smith Gallery right here in town and have seen it displayed a handful of times. It is an exceptional image and his printing was truly beyond anything I've ever come close to achieving.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I think it is because it is a very gentle and poetic form of memento mori.

The moon, which is the "star" of the picture, lits the clouds behind it. In front of it, a village sleeps peacefully. In front of it, the white crosses of the countryside cemetery shine under the moon.

This can give a shiver. The motif of death which is waiting for all of us, and the immensity, the beauty of the nature where it all belongs and it all goes back. The crosses of the cemetery silently "talking" to the moon while the men are asleep. The great eye of God looking at the world, or looking after the world. The contrast between the immensity of the world, of nature, and the smallness of the human events. Each of those crosses was a life, a person full of hope, and anxiety, and joy, and sorrow, and now it's a cross under the moon in an immense plane. And yet, it's as if those crosses are in touch, in harmony with the moon, with the great all. It's not a sad thought which is raised, it's a consolatory one.

At first this is just a nocturne shot. Then it becomes raising some sensations which are not necessarily rationalised as I am doing above.
    Steady on.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    To the OP, cliveh, have you seen an actual print of this from Adams (not a repro) in person? Fortunately I have the Andrew Smith Gallery right here in town and have seen it displayed a handful of times. It is an exceptional image and his printing was truly beyond anything I've ever come close to achieving.
    I think somebody would have a very uphill battle arguing against "Moonrise..." technically. My school (RIT) had a print of it that I would pop in to look at in the dean's office whenever I could. It is technically magnificent and is made more interesting now that you can view finished prints, contact prints, and printing notes online through the eastman house.

Easier, however, is to argue against it artistically. That is very personal and subjective. I don't strongly connect with it. I do feel it captures a time and place and evokes a lovely feeling of peace and quiet. Of a town, even an entire mode of life in America, that is perhaps dying like the inhabitants of the cemetery that is so striking in the photograph despite being diminutive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    No I have not, so that is perhaps why I don't get it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No I have not, so that is perhaps why I don't get it.
    What you mean by get you "dont get it"? Do you mean you don't like it? You don't see what aspects in the photo there are that other people consider good art or a good photo?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    What you mean by get you "dont get it"? Do you mean you don't like it? You don't see what aspects in the photo there are that other people consider good art or a good photo?
    It's our periodic "I don't get Ansel Adams" thread. This comes up all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't particularly like it, but I'm repeatedly drawn to it... mostly trying to figure out what others see in it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    It's our periodic "I don't get Ansel Adams" thread. This comes up all the time.
    If it comes up all the time, then it is worthy of debate. However, it is the easiest thing in the world to criticize an image, but another thing entirely to be there and take it.

Francis Bacon

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin