Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,719   Online: 960
      
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 140
  1. #31
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    I think it is because it is a very gentle and poetic form of memento mori.

    The moon, which is the "star" of the picture, lits the clouds behind it. In front of it, a village sleeps peacefully. In front of it, the white crosses of the countryside cemetery shine under the moon.

    This can give a shiver. The motif of death which is waiting for all of us, and the immensity, the beauty of the nature where it all belongs and it all goes back. The crosses of the cemetery silently "talking" to the moon while the men are asleep. The great eye of God looking at the world, or looking after the world. The contrast between the immensity of the world, of nature, and the smallness of the human events. Each of those crosses was a life, a person full of hope, and anxiety, and joy, and sorrow, and now it's a cross under the moon in an immense plane. And yet, it's as if those crosses are in touch, in harmony with the moon, with the great all. It's not a sad thought which is raised, it's a consolatory one.

    At first this is just a nocturne shot. Then it becomes raising some sensations which are not necessarily rationalised as I am doing above.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  2. #32
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,793
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    You bring a good example Fabrizio.

    The connection we have with any photo depends on our emotional and spiritual connection with the subject. It seems to me that you connect with Moonrise.

    To an atheist who sees similar scenes driving home from work once a month, like me, Ansel's Moonrise seems pretty blasé. Definately no shiver, unless it's cold outside.

    I've spent most of my life tramping around Ansel's photographic world. Most of his subject matter is just of places where I've lived, played, and worked.

    I do very much understand that Ansel was highly skilled, my interest in his work though is technical, not artistic or emotional.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  3. #33
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    To the OP, cliveh, have you seen an actual print of this from Adams (not a repro) in person? Fortunately I have the Andrew Smith Gallery right here in town and have seen it displayed a handful of times. It is an exceptional image and his printing was truly beyond anything I've ever come close to achieving.
    K.S. Klain

  4. #34
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,561
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I think it is because it is a very gentle and poetic form of memento mori.

    The moon, which is the "star" of the picture, lits the clouds behind it. In front of it, a village sleeps peacefully. In front of it, the white crosses of the countryside cemetery shine under the moon.

    This can give a shiver. The motif of death which is waiting for all of us, and the immensity, the beauty of the nature where it all belongs and it all goes back. The crosses of the cemetery silently "talking" to the moon while the men are asleep. The great eye of God looking at the world, or looking after the world. The contrast between the immensity of the world, of nature, and the smallness of the human events. Each of those crosses was a life, a person full of hope, and anxiety, and joy, and sorrow, and now it's a cross under the moon in an immense plane. And yet, it's as if those crosses are in touch, in harmony with the moon, with the great all. It's not a sad thought which is raised, it's a consolatory one.

    At first this is just a nocturne shot. Then it becomes raising some sensations which are not necessarily rationalised as I am doing above.
    Steady on.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    To the OP, cliveh, have you seen an actual print of this from Adams (not a repro) in person? Fortunately I have the Andrew Smith Gallery right here in town and have seen it displayed a handful of times. It is an exceptional image and his printing was truly beyond anything I've ever come close to achieving.
    I think somebody would have a very uphill battle arguing against "Moonrise..." technically. My school (RIT) had a print of it that I would pop in to look at in the dean's office whenever I could. It is technically magnificent and is made more interesting now that you can view finished prints, contact prints, and printing notes online through the eastman house.

    Easier, however, is to argue against it artistically. That is very personal and subjective. I don't strongly connect with it. I do feel it captures a time and place and evokes a lovely feeling of peace and quiet. Of a town, even an entire mode of life in America, that is perhaps dying like the inhabitants of the cemetery that is so striking in the photograph despite being diminutive.

  6. #36
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,561
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    To the OP, cliveh, have you seen an actual print of this from Adams (not a repro) in person? Fortunately I have the Andrew Smith Gallery right here in town and have seen it displayed a handful of times. It is an exceptional image and his printing was truly beyond anything I've ever come close to achieving.
    No I have not, so that is perhaps why I don't get it.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  7. #37
    Richard Sintchak (rich815)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco area (Albany, California)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,151
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No I have not, so that is perhaps why I don't get it.
    What you mean by get you "dont get it"? Do you mean you don't like it? You don't see what aspects in the photo there are that other people consider good art or a good photo?
    -----------------------

    "Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

    Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

    My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

    My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

  8. #38
    David Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    near Dallas, TX USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,332
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    What you mean by get you "dont get it"? Do you mean you don't like it? You don't see what aspects in the photo there are that other people consider good art or a good photo?
    It's our periodic "I don't get Ansel Adams" thread. This comes up all the time.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,205
    I don't particularly like it, but I'm repeatedly drawn to it... mostly trying to figure out what others see in it.

  10. #40
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,561
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    It's our periodic "I don't get Ansel Adams" thread. This comes up all the time.
    If it comes up all the time, then it is worthy of debate. However, it is the easiest thing in the world to criticize an image, but another thing entirely to be there and take it.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin