Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,847   Online: 978

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If it comes up all the time, then it is worthy of debate. However, it is the easiest thing in the world to criticize an image, but another thing entirely to be there and take it.
    Usually when it comes up, OP is a troll. Clearly not the case here.

Cliveh, is it this particular image? Or the body of work that escapes your grasp?

In general, whereas HCB captures the essence of a place in a moment in time, AA captures the essence of a place without time.

When you attempt to capture a place, I think it helps to use a tripod and LF... Because then a print can bring a dimension of illusory reality. The closer you look, the more you see. It satisfies the eagle-eye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cannot speak for Cliveh, I do not get excited or "moved" by Moonrise Hernandez.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I cannot speak for Cliveh, I do not get excited or "moved" by Moonrise Hernandez.
    Nor do I. Clearing Winter Storm doesn't exactly drop my jaw to the floor either. Some things by Adams nearly bring tears to my eyes, but not his calendar art.
    Jim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Usually when it comes up, OP is a troll. Clearly not the case here.

Cliveh, is it this particular image? Or the body of work that escapes your grasp?

In general, whereas HCB captures the essence of a place in a moment in time, AA captures the essence of a place without time.

When you attempt to capture a place, I think it helps to use a tripod and LF... Because then a print can bring a dimension of illusory reality. The closer you look, the more you see. It satisfies the eagle-eye.
    Bill, please don't take my OP out of context, as I have no problem with the MO of landscape work, or AA in general. It is just this picture and one or two others that I have a problem with. But as has been said it is probably because I haven't seen the original.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt that any single picture exists in the world that would be universally liked.

Why should this one be any different?

And why is it worthy of a thread, or even of comments?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Moonrise isn't a particularly enthralling image and would, by modern standards of aesthetics, attract criticism for the vast black swathe of nothingness and a ordinarily inconsequential (albeit detailed) moon. I don't think Adams had it visually in terms of visual-spatial symmetry, though there is no question about his technique and depth of processing execution. Of very few, one image stands out and resonates with me: Aspens, Mexico on p218. Horses for courses, there will be still others who do not like this image.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-03-2012 at 03:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite an interesting little video showing AA's mastery of the print, specific to Moonrise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel Adams was raised with 19th-century transcendentalists' core beliefs, the inherent goodness of both man and nature.
    His work as a photographer is much deeper than the imagination of the average person..... especially in 2012,
    hence You often see threads of the kind "I don't get Ansel Adams".
    Last edited by georg16nik; 09-03-2012 at 05:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Ansel Adams was raised with 19th-century transcendentalists' core beliefs, the inherent goodness of both man and nature.
    His work as a photographer is much deeper than the imagination of the average person..... especially in 2012,
    hence You often see threads of the kind "I don't get Ansel Adams".
    Actually, I just think AA became really good at his craft; business.

He worked very hard to develop a salable high quality product (pretty obviously based on something he enjoyed) and market it well with a great story. He refined that product over time and he was also a good teacher of process.

To me though, most of his work seems to be simply variations and refinements on his original ideas. This is not a bad thing, it is typical of most businesses and crafts; the big leaps of imagination come early while getting things started, followed by many years of formulaic production, maintenance, and refinement.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I think it is because it is a very gentle and poetic form of memento mori.
    This could have a lot to do with its wider appeal. Wider because church symbolism means a lot to people, and those who appreciate it don't necessarily have the same strong feelings for nature symbolism.

Church for me, as I was influenced by a Boy Scout upbringing, means rocks and lakes, rivers and trees. For my wife, influenced by a Mission San Carlos Borromeo upbringing, crosses and saints, Jesus and Mary mean more.

In my own home I have only a few prints on display. Two nature shots, two shots of my kids, and five shots taken in and around missions.

I don't even "get it" in my own work, why shots that include religious symbolism are more popular with my chosen audience. I much prefer the nature shots I have taken, they move me directly and personally.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin