Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,988   Online: 842

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get it…as a viewer would get it. I only ever hear criticism from photographers of Adam's work, none of the every day person….that ought to tell you something…

I hear music when I see this. I feel the chill in the air from a November afternoon in the South West. I really don't care if it is his best or if I like another one better. It has what I see many images…especially those made on film these days, lacking….it has distinct mood. It is also a journey back in time, a journey into who Ansel wanted to be and ended up being.

No one can argue how intrepid photography of this caliber was in 1941, this was just not seen until then. In my opinion, if you don't get it, then you are looking at this as just a photograph of which it is not. Moonrise over Hernandez is and will always be a mile marker if not a milestone in the history of photography.....that leaves a mark that can not be erased but gets handed down through emotions generation to generation.

You don't have to like it, no one does. But the fact of the matter is that people do, it's a feel kinda thing...It will always be a great photograph, because it started as one.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-06-2012 at 10:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Even though Galli say my vote no longer counts, it is a stunning image. Not my favorite "Adams", but a very very well done image. I think PKM-25 makes some fine points.

I am moved by many many images. I try not to let any bias rule my looking at photographs. But of course it does. Rocks and trees are fine by me. Portraits, since I generally do not take them are harder for me to approach...it has to be a pretty dang fine portrait to move me -- we see so many of them...far more images of people have been taken than of any other subject. But because I photograph the light reflecting off the landscape, I am pretty tough on landscape photographs, too. So I guess it evens out.

People give showering praise to images here that make me cringe -- I want to shout out, "But can't you see.......!" But it better to be nice and encouraging, especially when no honest critique is asked for. Dang...I need another scotch...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    People give showering praise to images here that make me cringe -- I want to shout out, "But can't you see.......!" But it better to be nice and encouraging, especially when no honest critique is asked for. Dang...I need another scotch...
    +1. Eye of the beholder. Some are blind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Would you all like it as much if Adams had done all the dodging and burning manipulation using Photoshop?

Using Photoshop would have required the exactly same artistic interpretation on the image he had originally captured.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    +1. Eye of the beholder. Some are blind.
    Okay, I am on my second scotch -- nothing pisses me more than when I point out, lets say, an upper corner of blank sky that destroys the sense of balance in an image...and I hear back, "But that was just the way it was!"...I want to wring their neck and say, "Then don't take the bloody picture -- or at least don't print the dang thing!"

But I don't because I actually know what they are trying to say and we all have to make these errors and hopefully learn from them.

Would you all like it as much if Adams had done all the dodging and burning manipulation using Photoshop?
    Probably not, since it would have been taken at a different point of time in the history of photography and probably would have been too heavy a hand put on the sharpening filter. And in color and printed too large -- I have seen Moonrise printed in mural size...too bloody big.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post

Using Photoshop would have required the exactly same artistic interpretation on the image he had originally captured.
    No, I would not have liked it, because it would not have been hand made, now days, there is computer made and then there is everything that is not computer made, big, big difference in the required talent and persistence.

And I disagree with you in terms of what the artistic interpretation of the image would have been if photoshop were around. It simply was not and there is no going back from that....thank god.

Personally, I have never been one to manipulate images to the degree that Adams did and *certainly* not to the point of the worthless garbage I see from people using photoshop. But I did have a "Hernandez" moment this year and I am still quite taken aback that I pulled it off, all in the way I saw it, shot it, souped it and printed it, requiring every ounce of technique and talent I could pull together. It took a ton of work and the result is not something you can get from a computer photo....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps one's appreciation is also dependent to a certain degree on one's willingness to participate in the viewing experience.

In today's culture many have come to expect to be passively entertained, or engaged, or moved, or informed, or whatever, without ever realizing that they must also actively contribute to that process in order to fully experience it.

If you stand in front of a photograph and simply wait for it to speak to you, you could be in for a long wait. The viewing needs to be participatory. Same with a book. You can stare at it on the table until the cows come home, but until you make the effort to actually open and read it, not much literary appreciation is going to happen.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I want to wring their neck and say, "Then don't take the bloody picture -- or at least don't print the dang thing!" But I don't because I actually know what they are trying to say and we all have to make these errors and hopefully learn from them.
    And what if the original photographer says: "I like it that way. That's why I took the photo."

Who are you to decide that the pic contains an "error"? Are you the final arbiter of artistic vision on this planet?

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All depend, Leigh. If they considered all the aspects of the image and liked it that way, fine -- I don't have to like it for it to be a good image to them. But if they just, for example, looked at the subject without considering the entire image, and the rest of the image detracts from their subject, then they have failed to make the best image they are capable of. But some people feel like 'okay' is good enough...and usually they say in their defense, "I like it that way. That's why I took the photo."

I broke one of my own rules and critiqued a baby picture -- a dumb thing to do. Rarely can a parent see past the baby.

Another classic is the tree or post growing out of someone's head. The photographer might still like the photo because of their relationship to the subject. But it still a fail as a photograph. Unless, of course the photographer wanted the tree growing out their subject's head for some odd or even logical reason.

Rules of composition are meant to be broken, but it helps to know the rules first...but sometimes one can get lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn,

The problem that I had with your comment is you have no idea what the shooter was thinking of when he tripped the shutter.

You're basing your statements on total speculation.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin