Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,703   Online: 1055

AA photographs from AA Gallery by Alan Ross

Does anyone here own any of the photographs that are available from Ansel Adams Gallery, which are printed by Alan Ross from original negatives and go for $295? The basic question is: is it worth it as far as overall quality? perhaps someone had a chance to directly compare an original actually printed by AA to this version? Short of getting a reproduction, this is probably as close as one can get to owning one (a close sibling) without breaking the bank.

Further to above, they also sell Archival Replicas. Any comparison between the two?
    Last edited by superd; 04-05-2013 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    been to Alan's House , seen both. Alan doesn't do anything half - assed. don't think you could tell the difference if you tried. he has printed over 100,000 of these prints
    Mitchel
    mitch brown

Quote Originally Posted by mitch brown View Post
    been to Alan's House , seen both. Alan doesn't do anything half - assed. don't think you could tell the difference if you tried. he has printed over 100,000 of these prints
    Mitchel
    Thanks, I'd like to have one of the quality prints from AA and this reassures me that it's worth it. Now I need to figure out how to get it across the pond without spending double its price.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I have a print by Alan which I bought from Ansel in the 1960's. It is probably a better print than Ansel would have made as he had a tendency to overtone.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yep, if it's printed by Alan Ross it's as good as you'll ever see.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have two I bought in Yosemite in the 1980s (I think they were about $60 then). Both are excellent.
    Keith Pitman
    Photographer
    www.keithpitman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have two of them printed by Alan Ross recently. The quality is excellent, and from what I have seen, on par with how Ansel would have printed them. A real bargain for the quality (as Ansel intended).

Shooter
    35mm
    While I don't think it's possible but would you like an AA photograph printed by yourself?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Alan is a serious photographer and printmaker in his own right, but by being directly associated with AA
    he also knows how to interpret the negs faithfully and, despite AA bequeathing such raw material to the whims oif posterity, prints them to look as if Ansel himself would have done it. After all, that was his coach. Value-wise, these are just a commodity, a valuable source of income to the trust, but only marginally collectable - not anything like a vintage print. As decor, they probably "feel" more authentic than a picture mass-printed by mechanical means. Quite a few of us can probably print better than AA
    could - we've got better papers and a bigger toolbox of tricks (some of which he taught us!). But not
    many people have his poetic sensibility too. There is a lot more to his finished images than just "grand
    landscapes" or outdoor "romanticism", to employ a nonsense term favored by mouldy urban critics of
    his style.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin