Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,997   Online: 807

Shooter
    35mm RF

Sunny acre during winter

This is an acre just outside of where my girlfriend used to live. I think I took this around six months ago, when I was walking home. It's impressive how large the dynamical range is of film, and I think this is a great example of where it outperforms (most) digital cameras.

Camera: Yashica Minister 700
    Film: efke 25 shot at ISO 25
    Developed: DD-X 1+4, 13 minutes

Paper: Ilford MGIV
    Exposure: f/8, 20 magenta
    Developer: Multigrade 1+9, 60 seconds

Map:

Jordet kart by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Print (frame added in photoshop)

Jordet by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

I appreciate any comments or tips!

Thanks for watching,
    Anders

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting into the sun is difficult work, especially when expressing your visualization under the enlarger. I think you've done great work both in exposing and printing, if the physical print is as represented here digitally. You could lighten the shadows a bit, reducing contrast overall, but this can be problematic with the relative small film size area of 35mm, and the contrast kind of works for me given the time of day. My main bugaboo with this sort of thing is artifact (i.e., not intended) lens flare. Personally, I find that the bottom of the picture adds nothing to the composition, and that is coincidentally where the flare is. I'd crop that out and compose more off center from your main elements, according to my taste, not your visualization. I'm big on cropping when tools and circumstance dictates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8699139863_1bd3b2226c_z (1).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	68143

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exposure looks well controlled, but I reserve judgement when all that I am looking at is a digital representation of a print (or negative). Shadow areas look correct.

I agree with ROL's comments about the flare — and I, too, am ruthless at cropping where an image needs it.
    Tyre tracks and a vast tract of nothingness aside, I have a major issue with the image overall: it is very bland and unserviceable, all that space in front... I took to it with my Bear Grylls Swiss Army Knife (!), and this is what I saw...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acre-recropped.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	68144
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-01-2013 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I disagree with PDJ, the OP has the composition nailed.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the OP's composition as well. I don't see the sun as the main subject (though I might consider cropping a bit off the bottom).
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you for comments!

The flare, yes - I decided to keep it. I wanted the centered sun, and didn't like the print dimensions I would get by cropping only the bottom. Yet another matter of taste, I suppose

Thanks again!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For those interested, I posted another shot from this film in the Architecture sub-forum. I didn't realize these deep dens of apug were so inactive

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin