Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 760

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    150 ways to fail and there is no way to avoid any one of them no matter how careful you become! And the problem grows exponentially if you shoot multiple formats!
    To experience the full meaning of fail, go to large format photography. There are so many more moronic things one can do with large format photography.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    There are so many more moronic things one can do with large format photography.
    Like going to LF to begin with? (in that case, sign me up as a moron, waiting for my new ToyoView as we speak)
    Maybe going to LF in itself isn't moronic, but everything certainly gets exponentially expensive, especially the film the larger it gets. LF just make it even worse when you realise you've blown $20 on a single frame that you ruined from your own stupidity...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find the I have similar issues when using my Hasselblad Arcbody. There are so many things to remember to do and on days when my mind isn't as engaged as it could be I am asking myself, is darkslide out, did i close shutter before I removed DS, what back have I got on, have I allowed for the centre filter in my exposure calculation, tilt/shift, lens shade adjusted, those moving boats have I got enough shutter speed and then the moment is gone. Is all worth when I get it right and 12 shots a roll is a little easier than with 617.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LF and the ArcBody do not have the interlocks that we have come to depend on. Without the interlocks to protect us, mistakes abound.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just took the plunge into LF this year, and with all the disastrous mistakes I made with medium format while shooting in Chicago last week, I seriously wonder if I'll ever get anything good when the 4x5 finally leaves the house.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I just took the plunge into LF this year, and with all the disastrous mistakes I made with medium format while shooting in Chicago last week, I seriously wonder if I'll ever get anything good when the 4x5 finally leaves the house.
    I don't seem to make the dumb LF mistakes *too* often, and I credit a habitual and redundant workflow. For instance, I dry-fire before every shot, which makes it a lot more difficult to leave the preview lever open by the time I pull the darkslide, and gives me another chance or two to remember to stop down. It doesn't mean I never blow it, of course, but I think it helps to reduce the frustration. Just work out an order of operations and treat it like the pre-flight checklist.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've been shooting view cameras for over thirty years now, and I still sometimes make stupid mistakes. Doesn't matter. One good shot with an
    8x10 is worth more to me than 500 with a small camera. You can only print so many images anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    To experience the full meaning of fail, go to large format photography. There are so many more moronic things one can do with large format photography.
    I shot 8x10 for a short while. I currently shoot a 6x17 Shen-Hao and have shot 4x5 and 5x7 over the last 17 years or so. The list of fallibility is endless but every once in a while a gem surfaces through the rubble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin