Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,222   Online: 1210

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob Ross was like a Richard Simmons of art and do it yourself art tv show: at first you hate or dislike him for all the right reasons and then he grows on you because he does what he loves, ignores the haters and just keeps on going and going. Well-liked and with a wonderful personality. Funny and humorous to watch those who take him too seriously actually try to critique him in some pedantic snobbish way. He was who he was and was loved by millions.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 12-25-2013 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He never put himself out there as a great painter. His mission was to encourage others to believe they could paint. His enthusiasm was infectious and, on the few occasions I watched, he made me believe I could do it. Quit hatin'...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SNIP SNIP SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    In art school both him and Thomas Kinkade are considered jokes.
    its unfortunate that in art school people that make it as artists ( kinkade ) or teachers ( ross ) are considered jokes
    when one sees some of the "art" that comes out of art school.

the richard simmons of the art world ??

its too bad people just can't let people be ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

the richard simmons of the art world ??

its too bad people just can't let people be ...
    My Richard Simmons comparison only goes as far as many people disliking them both at first then liking them later....

I actually like both of them a lot!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a child and teenager I enjoy watching Bob Ross' Joy of Painting (and Jim Crockett's Victory Garden). I still often catch the Ross show on PBS late at nite.
    Truzi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's like watching the Shawshank Redemption. I have only seen the first fifteen minutes once or twice. When you come across it channel surfing it sucks you in. I have seen the rest over a hundred times.

Same for The Joy of Painting for me. I never caught the blank canvas. But I enjoyed his enthusiasm. It was infectious. He never claimed to be the next classical artist. Good thing he never did. But he was who he was and HIS art brought a lot of people joy as he was a joy to watch for me. And for that I am ever thankful. I actually tried to paint the backyard once after watching him. Never would have thought to without his inspiration, such as it was. He encouraged people to GET OFF THEIR FAT LAZY BUTTS and just go out there and do what you love.

I'm just glad that no one has begun a new show, The Joy of Pixels. Might have to pass that one up.

And for the original question which I think has been passed over, did he help us with our photography? I think my answer is, NOT A DAMN BIT. However, he fostered creativity. And I think what my photography is today is a by-product of that and other nurturing received over the years collectively.

Music. Metallica. I loved them in their heyday. Black, Fuel, Load, etc. Then St. Anger comes out. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. However, it was what they had always wanted to be able to do as artists. And in that one statement, though I dislike their music now, I do respect the decision they made to go through with it.

Bob Ross did not produce 'Fine Art'. Thank God. The mere line 'Fine Art' when applied by the artist is self-serving and flips the off switch immediately for me. I am glad for all the Bob Ross's out there who have the pair to lay it all out there at the expense of their pride to be able to say that they did it and no one could stop them. I hope one day to be as instrumental as Bob Ross has been to thousands if not millions of people over the years.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 12-25-2013 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I miss this guy. I used to fall asleep like a baby listening to his brushes and his voice. It was soothing like nothing else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I actually tried to paint the backyard once after watching him.
    Wow, that would take a lot of paint!

I painted just the backyard fence, and that was plenty for me...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Use to watch his show often and still watch the reruns occasionally. The show had a documentary on his life after he died and it showed that he really had a huge affect on people around the world to just get out there and start painting. He was a very gentle and extremely well liked person and it never went to his head. We could use more people in this world like him.
    Exactly that.

His work could not be considered as fine art (whatever that is) but he was certainly inspirational to many and his programmes are interesting to watch.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin