Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,374   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Bob Ross and Joy of Painting

Hi all,

yesterday I saw on TV for the first time Bob Ross and his fast painting of landscapes. I was amazed :O! Usually I don't take photos of landscapes, but for everyone who does - take a look on youtube if you don't know this legend . For ones that knows itabout Bob Ross - question: did it helped in your photography?

Regards,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If Leonardo have a video on youtube , he would impress me but not that guy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Use to watch his show often and still watch the reruns occasionally. The show had a documentary on his life after he died and it showed that he really had a huge affect on people around the world to just get out there and start painting. He was a very gentle and extremely well liked person and it never went to his head. We could use more people in this world like him.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art is an amazing thing. It's squishy, malleable, like jelly. You think you've got it
    right where you want it, and *glop* it squeezes out. Every time you think you
    know exactly what it is... <grin> it surprises you again. Think Bob Ross isn't
    an Artist? I'd say think again. Through whatever means, he communicated to
    people, connected across the void, made them feel happy. Comparing him
    [or anyone] to Leonardo, misses the point of Art. Each of us, if we find the way,
    have deep Art inside us, which can only come to fruition - in my opinion - through
    the experience others have of our work, in other words there must be a connection
    between two people for Art to occur.

Whether you like him or not, whether he appeals to you or not, Bob Ross connected
    with *alot* of people, and therein lies a great beauty and appeal to his character.
    Who gets to be Leonardo, Mozart, Michaelangelo? - No one. Statistically they do not exist.
    But Art needs to happen just the same for all the rest of us, the mediocre unwashed
    masses, the 'Salieri's of the world. As a child, the 'happy cloud guy' made me and
    my children feel like we too could make some Art, and so we have.

Here's to Bob Ross, to world needs more like him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA

One last thing, maybe Bob Ross' Art was not his paintings, but his life...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have not watched Bob Ross in years. As a younger adult I would still catch Bugs Bunny Road Runner on Saturday mornings. Yes, I did make that left turn at Albuquerque just to see where it went. At noon, I would flip through the channels before doing something for the day. I would invariably come across PBS and, dontcha know, there is Bob Ross. Painting a rock next to a trail so that the woodland creatures would have a place to sit to rest.

The guy was frickin' hypnotic. I never sought him out, but I enjoyed watching him work. He was no Picasso. But he was very talented nonetheless.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never really cared for him as a painter. He has never really inspired me as a painter. In art school both him and Thomas Kinkade are considered jokes.

My photography has mainly been influenced by J.M.W Turner and Caspar David Friedrich.
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 12-25-2013 at 08:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not saying that Bob is best painter in history, I was touched not only by paintings and speed of creating those works, but also the way he was explaining everything, by his personality, easy approach, positive attitude... somehow he put a spark in me to start thinking about photographing landscapes (in my photography it is all about people), nobody else before was able to do this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Painting is all about details , light , degrades. Bob Ross gave the people what they understand but not what they might need to understand. Bad artists are threats if they become famous especially if they try to teach whatever bad taste is. I watched him painting a pine tree , what a horrible thing , total bad taste and underrated art. I prefer real talents not charlatans.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haters gonna hate.

Agree that Bob Ross was much more inspiring in his life and approach than his paintings. He inspired a lot of people to just get out there and paint or create despite their insecurities and self doubt. No, he's not Renoir, but he's helped my mom start painting (via reruns) and she gets a lot of pleasure out of it. Art snobs be damned.

The show was called the JOY of painting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My English teacher in highschool used to stamp good papers with a Bob Ross portrait--I guess it was his way of saying good job. I've always wanted to know where he got a rubber stamp of him though...

...wait, what were we talking about?
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin