Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,108   Online: 1068

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Once it's not below freezing, I do plan on it. And maybe take a camera into the tree with me. Our house in PA doesn't have many trees, but this one has several. I have very fond memories of the trees in my grandparents back yard.

And I totally understand, Toffle, about it being hard to get the light just right. It takes study to find the right time 'cause the light is so different based on the season. I'm sure it could take several tries to get something I'm happy with. I might just do a study of the tree and get different angles in different light just to show the differences possible.

For many years, my mom has wanted to find a lone tree in a field to photograph in each of the four seasons. She's been looking since I was a kid and hasn't found the right one.
    That's cute (the mom story).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    ...and that is sometimes harder than we think. A couple of years ago, I found the "perfect" little glen in the woods of Point Pelee National Park not more than two miles from my home. Unfortunately, it was also the rainiest September in recent memory. Although I could envision where the light should fall, I never got the shot as I saw it in my mind's eye, despite visiting the site almost daily for what seemed weeks. Eventually the seasons changed and I moved on to other subjects.
    I am more of a 'finder' than a 'waiter'. I do have trees I go back to and check on the light, but mostly I just wander about looking at the light, and when a composition moves me, I set up the camera.

This one has trees in it -- and a waterfall, but it is more about the falling light. In my wanderings (first and only time I have been in this spot), I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was a bit worried because two women were showed up and were hanging out in 'my' scene as I was setting up. But they let on their own soon enough and the light only got better as I waited!

5x7 carbon print. (Columbia River Gorge, OR)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multnomah Falls, OR_5x7.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And since roots were mentioned...

An 8x10 platinum print of my boys and a redwoods tree root wad. I believe they were 8 years old at the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Boys, Rootwad, Arcata_8x10P.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I approach a tree like a portrait of a person or animal. The same with any plant.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am more of a 'finder' than a 'waiter'. I do have trees I go back to and check on the light, but mostly I just wander about looking at the light, and when a composition moves me, I set up the camera.

This one has trees in it -- and a waterfall, but it is more about the falling light. In my wanderings (first and only time I have been in this spot), I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was a bit worried because two women were showed up and were hanging out in 'my' scene as I was setting up. But they let on their own soon enough and the light only got better as I waited!

5x7 carbon print. (Columbia River Gorge, OR)
    Wow Vaughn! That's amazing, you got those highlights perfect, doesn't look tbe slightest bit blown out, yet the shadows are so detailed, I'm beginning to think more and more that I don't know the faintest bit about photography and that I'm just fiddling about in the dark even when it takes me an hour to shoot 1 image it appears I'm a lost fart in the dark...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful, Vaughn!
    Last edited by Toffle; 01-14-2014 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My approach is to get close. I could feel the strength hugging this baby before I shot it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5262975190_90b10e9cc6_z.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	80190

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    My approach is to get close. I could feel the strength hugging this baby before I shot it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5262975190_90b10e9cc6_z.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	80190
    Wow that's a beautiful twist in the trunk. Portra?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful, Alan. I love the variety of approaches to photographing something as ubiquitous as trees. I don't know who said it, but it may apply here.
    There are more ways to play Hamlet than there are actors to play him.
    Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just been enjoying 'Landscapes' by Ray Metzker [an ex student of Harry Callahan].....some lovely subtle images in that.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin