Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,466   Online: 1020

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Trees aren't so hard to shoot, main trick to keep in mind is basically using the same rules you'd use in any fine art shot. For it to be successful you gotta nail the composition first, create interest with the setting, use the lines of tree branches, use golden ratio/rule of thirds etc. It's all in the details. I try to get away from the 'boring' look you might see in a snapshot (I've done it myself: you get to the place, see a tree and start shooting without thinking, then realize it sucks), try to see the tree as a potential portrait. It's like taking a photo of a person, you can capture their essence, beauty, their unique feature or you can do a snapshot. You can focus on a specific feature or you can take in the whole crowd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12471202555_05a2643f31_o.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	82259

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love shooting trees. probably shoot more of them than anything else. I spend a lot of time on day hikes. Being in the south bay area we are so lucky to have many parks within a 30 minute drive that seem like when you are there to be worlds away. I don't know about you but I find that black and white does trees justice. Not sure why but the lines to me show up better that way as sometimes the color can take your focus away. I love the geometric shapes, the randomness of the lines from the trunks and branches and how you can frame things within the branches, between the branches and so on.

I do have a friend that has a real large (by normal standards) and rare albino redwood on his property in the santa cruz big basin area. Now for that I have to shoot color just to show the awe inspiring rarity of the subject.

one of my recent favs. not sure why, but looks like the tree is breathing fire thanks to rollei retro 80s and a red filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retro 80 Scan-140321-0003  as Smart Object-1.jpg  

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin