Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,750   Online: 1106

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the heck - may as well add a tree/forest photo of my own.

Hope it survives the manipulations necessary to squeeze in on to the page - it looks a lot better as a print or, best yet, a projected transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image10e-2012-03-13-APUG.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It survived nicely, Matt! Good feeling of depth.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn and Matt - those pics are breathtaking! WOW! WOW! OMG! I know the 'groups' have all but died but a 'tree gallery' would be spectacular. I spend all day looking at Moersch and Morali trees on iPernity. Maybe we could just do something like that here. How beautiful and majestic they are! Take a deep breath and I can just smell the wet cedar and dampness from the lichen.

Oh we must have a tree gallery!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me it's all about capturing the spirit of a place. If there are trees in it, I still focus on the place they are in, because that's important in how the tree developed into what it is.
    The woods and trees are magical to me, so I try to capture that wonder, always interested in the light that surround them. Like Vaughn, I think the light makes the photograph come alive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12h-12.jpg   2008_van_road_b.jpg   beacon_road_1.jpg   alight.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are lovely Thomas. That 3rd one looks exactly like my dad's driveway. (sniff, sniff) Which I am really regretting not taking over now! I'd be a stone's throw from Photostock!!!!

Keep 'em coming folks! These are awesome.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Most excellent images, Thomas.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Thomas,wonderful images!Well done.I would love a book filled with images of this quality and atmosphere!

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Oh we must have a tree gallery!
    I'm in favour of this and I know the argument against would be why not have a portrait gallery, or a landscape gallery, but perhaps galleries covering some on specific genres would be a good idea. If APUG ever produces a book or ventures into online exhibitions, such galleries could prove useful.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Emerald Ash Borer is killing all the ash trees in the central US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer
    Although the cold snap of late may drastically reduce the impact. We need deep freezes like that to reduce the effect of vermin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That and long-scale photographic processes!

What is amazing is to see a ring of huge redwoods that started out as sprouts around the 'parent' tree. The parent tree has completely disappeared...and it takes a long time for a standing redwood to rot away. So the sprouts are somewhere around 1000 years old (give or take 500), and the parent tree might have lived that long, or longer. The sprouts are genetically the same tree as the parent tree, so it could be argued that they are 2000+ years old.

This photo is from 1986 and the redwood had fallen within about ten years of this photo. Now the trunk is an elevated forest -- no space to walk (or lay) on it anymore (The wood imp might still be there, but I never saw her again... )

PS -- thanks, Bill. I have been photographing along this section of creek for over 30 years...never tire of it...always something new.
    I love this photograph and cheer every time I see it.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin