Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,528   Online: 945

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    What the heck - may as well add a tree/forest photo of my own.

Hope it survives the manipulations necessary to squeeze in on to the page - it looks a lot better as a print or, best yet, a projected transparency.
    That's wonderful, Matt. Luminous.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks, Thomas. One of these days I'll re-copy the print and re-post a decent image of it. The reproduction ended up with much too much contrast -- in the original the only area without shadow detail is right under the root wad, and the highlight values are much more controlled.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nothing the web is capable of conveying can do justice to your actual carbon prints, Vaughn. It's like trying to listen to a symphony with one's
    head buried in the sand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks, Thomas. One of these days I'll re-copy the print and re-post a decent image of it. The reproduction ended up with much too much contrast -- in the original the only area without shadow detail is right under the root wad, and the highlight values are much more controlled.
    What? I totally disagree with you Vaughn. The way you presented the image show just how bloody 'hot and arid' the desert is. Especially Death Valley. I think it's perfect as is. I think if you had more shadow detail it would lose that sense of aridity. I could be wrong but the feeling it conveys is perfect to me. Love that tone.

I think breaking down the galleries would be a great idea. I wonder where I would post my stuff... the sandbox gallery?
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    For me it's all about capturing the spirit of a place. If there are trees in it, I still focus on the place they are in, because that's important in how the tree developed into what it is.
    The woods and trees are magical to me, so I try to capture that wonder, always interested in the light that surround them. Like Vaughn, I think the light makes the photograph come alive.
    We had a discussion long ago about TMY-2 and Rodinal, and I took your advice with agitation (part of it) and have now incorporated it into my normal technique, for that I thank you. That tree image has also grown on me significantly, the second one, it took me a long time to appreciate it for some reason, and now it understand, it's awesome.

That's all I got.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    What the heck - may as well add a tree/forest photo of my own.

Hope it survives the manipulations necessary to squeeze in on to the page - it looks a lot better as a print or, best yet, a projected transparency.
    Nice job!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    What? I totally disagree with you Vaughn. The way you presented the image show just how bloody 'hot and arid' the desert is. Especially Death Valley. I think it's perfect as is. I think if you had more shadow detail it would lose that sense of aridity. I could be wrong but the feeling it conveys is perfect to me. Love that tone....
    Actually, I think Thomas was talking about image of the nude on the fallen redwood ( a 7x19 silver gelatin print from a 4x5 neg). The desert palm image is pretty close to the original -- just lost a little highlight detail in the foreground in the reproduction -- thanks for the comment on the desert image, though!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 01-09-2014 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of GREAT news! My Curry Leaf trees survived the cold blast. I can't believe it. Everything else bit the dust. I wrapped those babies up in blankets and as many sheets as I could find over bamboo poles. They're native to India and don't like temps under 55(F). About 5' tall now and tap root would kill the tree if I dug them out. I am so happy. They are part of my food forest I use for cooking. I snapped a few pics of them in D100/Pyro-HD. I'll print them over the weekend and show them. I have been protecting them, the leaves are so heavily-scented you get a wonderful aroma every time you brush by them... of course they are planted right along the path to the d/r. Unfortunately almost everything else died. It got down to 12 & 18 (F) for 3 consecutive days with no snow cover to protect them.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually, I think Thomas was talking about image of the nude on the fallen redwood. The desert palm image is pretty close to the original -- just lost a little highlight detail in the foreground in the reproduction -- thanks for the comment on the desert image, though!
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time I made a dork of myself.

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all.

I have lots of shots of trees - my wife sometimes accuses me of being unable to shoot anything that doesn't have a rock or a tree in it.

But I must say that this thread makes me think of Tolkein and the elves.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin