Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,609   Posts: 1,622,692   Online: 993

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    But I must say that this thread makes me think of Tolkein and the elves.
    You know, I was thinking that very thought myself!! Tom Bombadil and his maiden lady Goldberry.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time I made a dork of myself.
    No worries...It was not obvious.

Sometimes one finds an image with-in an image. After taking the one of my boys (159mm lens on 8x10), I noticed the redwood off in the light in the far back left. I used a 19" lens for it (4x10). I was set-up about 15 to 20 feet above the ground on some fallen redwoods. Both are platinum prints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Boys, Prairie Creek Redwoods_8x10P.jpg   WSRedwoodV4x10.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Magical. Words can not describe the beauty but my eyes of joy do...
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    You know, I was thinking that very thought myself!! Tom Bombadil and his maiden lady Goldberry.
    And Ents! Many things 'wrong' with the LotR movies. 1) No Tom Bombadil and his maiden lady Goldberry and 2) the Ents got trashed and turned into comic characters that had be tricked by hobbits to act!

And I have to toss in another image -- Three Boys, Three Snags, Prairie Creek Pedwoods State Park, 8x10 carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Boys, Three Snags_8x10C.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And Ents! Many things 'wrong' with the LotR movies. 1) No Tom Bombadil and his maiden lady Goldberry and 2) the Ents got trashed and turned into comic characters that had be tricked by hobbits to act!

And I have to toss in another image -- Three Boys, Three Snags, Prairie Creek Pedwoods State Park, 8x10 carbon print
    Wow, incredible! And I can only find 2 boys... Where's Waldo?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me, it has to do with the feeling of the scene or area. Trees are part of the scenes I shoot most, so how they feel in the scene determines a lot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wow, incredible! And I can only find 2 boys... Where's Waldo?
    Hunkered down between the two boys in white. It was a two-minute exposure...the boys are good at holding still!

On a Mac, one can click on the image, click on it again (brings it to a new window, and to its best quality level), then enlarge it many times (Command-+) and find Bryce easily. Don't know how to enlarge the screen on a PC.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hunkered down between the two boys in white. It was a two-minute exposure...the boys are good at holding still!

On a Mac, one can click on the image, click on it again (brings it to a new window, and to its best quality level), then enlarge it many times (Command-+) and find Bryce easily. Don't know how to enlarge the screen on a PC.
    Ahhh haha, I'm on a iPhone.... Hahaha

But I have a Mac at home

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yes, I was VERY upset there was NO Bombadil. He was the MOST important character in the whole series for me... the ring had NO power over him. How they could have left that out was shocking. The Ents are the wise-old caretakers of the forests. To make a mockery of them was blasphemy! grrrr! Anyway I grew up with the books and read them cover to cover and how many sets were just destroyed... should have gone with the hardcovers. So I was really picky about the film....

I love that pic, Vaughn, really puts humans in perspective to those humble giants...("puny, defenseless bipeds," as Tom Baker said.) I can see the 3rd one Stone but on an iPhone it's probably too small for you, he is swallowed up by the shear size of the 'Ent' snag being in dark clothes but you can make the head out.

All these trees and forests are wonderful!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know how I've missed this thread. There are some stunning images here. I am humbled by the awesome talent these photographs represent.

Seeing as we seem to be speaking of Hobbits here, as Samwise would say, there's tress and then there's trees. In isolation a tree becomes a monument, a testament, an Ent. In a tight-knit forest a challenge is to find the light that allows the subject to distinguish itself from its neighbours. The old expression can get turned on its head - you can't see the tree for the forest. As I said, I am humbled; I don't think there is a single tree in my gallery that could stand next to the amazing work here.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin