Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,617   Online: 977

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antarctic pics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. It was certainly pretty challenging using only film as I had no immediate feedback. I didn't take a DSLR with me this time, just the hassy and f2. I did lots of bracketing. I'm getting through the bulk of the 120 film now, the 4x5 sheets were a little disappointing as expected as it was more or less my first time shooting/developing 4x5 but I think now I much prefer the 4x5 process and will be using it a lot more in the future.

I took more b&w than colour film with me, majority of the colour was portra, ektar, a little reala & velvia. I am preferring the black and white process for now, I find that when going through colour photos I tend to switch them to b&w anyway.

There are of course people on board that took down mountains of DSLR equipment (one guy on board was doug thost dougthost.com) and I know I probably missed a lot of oppurtunities without fast cameras and fast, long lenses but I want to really challenge myself and I have an oppurtunity to go down there every year through the summer months and want to keep persisting until I really nail the film side of things and am able to come back with stunning prints on film without leaning too much on top-notch technology to get good photos.

There are stunning colours down there and surely colour photos are amazing but I've found from going through my own pictures, the black & white ones appeal to me the most and I was hoping this would be the case as it's the avenue I want to go down and hope to really master.

thanks for looking & the comments

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what's really important, finding individuality in your choice of whether you shoot in B&W and colour — one over the other, or both. , I was making observations based on what I have seen a number of other photographers come back with, and colour images have on occasion left me unmoved, especially those shot digital. Don't get over-burdened with too much technology, as you've noted (the Hassy would be the choice for getting the beauty on film), and which others should take notice of; the business of taking mountains of DLSR stuff on a cruise often slows down the rest of the group because of the photographer's lack of fluency in equipment exchange and indecision. KISS should be a pre-requisite for Antarctic sojourns.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    They all look cold useful in frame on wall in summer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex gard View Post
    Thanks guys. It was certainly pretty challenging using only film as I had no immediate feedback. I didn't take a DSLR with me this time, just the hassy and f2. I did lots of bracketing. I'm getting through the bulk of the 120 film now, the 4x5 sheets were a little disappointing as expected as it was more or less my first time shooting/developing 4x5 but I think now I much prefer the 4x5 process and will be using it a lot more in the future.

I took more b&w than colour film with me, majority of the colour was portra, ektar, a little reala & velvia. I am preferring the black and white process for now, I find that when going through colour photos I tend to switch them to b&w anyway.

There are of course people on board that took down mountains of DSLR equipment (one guy on board was doug thost dougthost.com) and I know I probably missed a lot of oppurtunities without fast cameras and fast, long lenses but I want to really challenge myself and I have an oppurtunity to go down there every year through the summer months and want to keep persisting until I really nail the film side of things and am able to come back with stunning prints on film without leaning too much on top-notch technology to get good photos.

There are stunning colours down there and surely colour photos are amazing but I've found from going through my own pictures, the black & white ones appeal to me the most and I was hoping this would be the case as it's the avenue I want to go down and hope to really master.

thanks for looking & the comments
    Forget the mod54 - try the Jobo , though these look great!
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No worries omer, I'm just waiting on a little adapter for the powerpoint and some C-41 chems and I'll start the jobo up pronto!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great work!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pretty chuffed with this one

4x5 Wilkes by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Number 4, what the heck is that perfectly round ball?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A weather radar i think, or some kind of satellite in weather protective housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 Wilkes by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin