Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,247   Online: 725

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antarctic pics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alex, you are a harsh judge, I think the whole set works well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks jerry

nearly finished developing all my rolls, hope to start getting throguh & uploading them soon

One of the lads by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dammit, stop posting amazing shots and making me want to go and work there.

I checked out that job site you gave me, applications have closed for 2014-15 but maybe I might be interested the summer after.
    There's only 1 "Electronics Engineer" position that I'd be suited for, $82k + $56k loading doesn't sound bad either (the -45C does sound bad though, still I'd prefer that than +45C). And I used to work for the company that supplied 3 of the radars on their list of things to work with, so I'd have a decent chance too. Just gotta deal with being away from the missus that long...

ps, on #4, I think those poles and wires on the far left of the shot are the 2MHz MF radar from Atrad where I used to work...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pretty sure they're reeeeeeally old radar/towers/radio things.... the area they're sitting on looks like it's been there forever but I could be wrong.

In summer the weather is really good, it could be -20 and still be pretty good. As long as it's not windy, I've never been there during winter (which would be freaking cold I'd assume) but summer is pretty good, but can still get ball-shatteringly cold.

Good luck and keep us updated on if you decide/get in. I might be ferrying you on your way to work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was that Davis Station?
    I'm pretty sure that this is the VHF radar, it's a 12x12 array with elements about 1.5m long (1/4 wavelength). This one's been there since 2001/2.

Then (edit: this one is the MF radar, I found a map). It's hard to see: 1/4 wavelength is 40m long wires, but they're so spaced out there's no shadow. Wherever it is, it's really old, probably nearly 20 years by now. And 20 years in antarctic weather would make anything look ancient.

The Meteor Radars are nearly impossible to see from googlemaps, only 1 transmit and 5 receiving antennae 2m across (maybe this?)
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 02-03-2014 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it was actualy casey station.

unfortunately I don't know anything much about the place, i'm just crew on the AA... I couldn't tell you what was what but I got a shot of those big round thingies like you asked :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As above, loving the 5th one, down to the bleak stackness, calm and desolate, yet tranquill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great photos!

As someone who just hung a 24 piece Antarctica show, I can appreciate how hard it is to print photos taken down there. Most days are low contrast with overcast skies, or contrasty as hell when the sun is out. I did my trip with a Bronica ETRSi with a winder and an AE prism. I can't imagine doing it with a 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow Colin... would love to see some of your work?
    Yes you are right, you really have to be super vigilant to make sure you take advantage of windows of good lighting. One advantage is that through the spring/summer the dawn's and dusk's all blend together so you kind of get like a dawn/dusk that goes for like 4 hours with nice low light as the sun makes that weird trajectory.

Definitely annoying with consistent low contrast.. found that a lot of the film is just ruined... also did you find that over/underexposing your film did really bizarre and dramatic colour shifts?

I now have a smaller and more portable 4x5 and will endeavour to smash so much film next time I go down. I put through mostly 120, still going through all the images now... can see the advantage with digital in the enironent but will be persistent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the last one that is "not as good"... I think it is beautiful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin