Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,507   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antarctic pics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Antarctic pics

4x5 Sea-ice by Alex Gard, on Flickr

4x5, 150mm, Red 25 Filter, HP5+, T-Max Developer 24 degrees for 14 minutes. Scanned neg, no adjustments

I am new to LF and have been developing my first few negs from my trip down south. Definitely a lot to learn but still having a lot of fun in the process. Here are a few more which didn't turn out as good (semi-stand development)

Rocks @ Casey, Antarctica by Alex Gard, on Flickr

4x5 Casey Resupply by Alex Gard, on Flickr

4x5 Casey Station, Antarctica by Alex Gard, on Flickr

newcombe bay, antarctica by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice, Alex. Are these processed on the reclaimed darkroom onboard ship?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice work. I really like the last one that didn't turn out "as good." It speaks to me somehow.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No these were not processed on the ship as I didn't have my chemicals on board with me. I was supposed to be on the trip they're on now as a person was on compassionate leave but came back as they needed the work. I hope to be back on for the next trip in March and I'll be taking all my processing gear (including a Jobo machine from CATLABS!)
    These were all processed at home, using a dark-bag which is really awkward but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nice
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex gard View Post
    No these were not processed on the ship as I didn't have my chemicals on board with me. I was supposed to be on the trip they're on now as a person was on compassionate leave but came back as they needed the work. I hope to be back on for the next trip in March and I'll be taking all my processing gear (including a Jobo machine from CATLABS!)
    These were all processed at home, using a dark-bag which is really awkward but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
    Processed IN a darkbag? I am more than impressed. Please tell me that's easier than it sounds.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sorry, I meant I loaded the sheets into a MOD54 in a dark bag. Which is a helluva lot easier than loading 120 onto reels in a darkbag.
    I've been in touch with a local college so going to use their darkroom while I'm on land, just need to get a couple of pieces and chemicals to get this jobo machine up and running.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice images... How did you get the chance to get there, if I may ask? It is maybe one of my biggest dreams to visit Antarctica once in my life.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fifth image is a winner for me; it is dark, brooding, malavolent and edgy, if lacking the true representation of Antarctica; the picture could be of a scene of anywhere there is water, low hills and snow. If anything is needed, that little blip of a 'berg at lower right could be bigger to give it a more powerful representation. The image is one I would frame and display. I'm ambivalent about B&W for Antarctica (though a number of expeditions have had people exploring the landscape with IR film too). A lot of Australian photographers shoot Antarctica in colour because of the rich and powerful colours and tones in dramatic light of ice floes and bergs; one photographer has at the moment slipped my mind but produced a profoundly beautiful portfolio on Velvia using medium format in morning and evening light about three years ago. Others, namely Australian LF worker David Tatnall, working in B&W, concentrate on the often dramatic and sublime shapes and ephemeral character of chunks of ice in specific shoreline-to-sea locations.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too love the fifth one, and can imagine it looking wonderful as a large print. I find it refreshing to see Antarctic photos in monochrome. Well done, and I look forward to seeing more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin