Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1152

Thread: 4x5 Landscape

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 Landscape

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scn106web.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	85647

Here is a scan from a negative I took last November at Turkey Run State Park. I discovered the battery was dead in my spot meter when I got there. When I made it home I botched the development on some of the other shots I had taken. Originally I didn't like the way the negative looked and hadn't messed with it. Last night I decided to give it another try. This was probably my third time out with my 4x5. Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated.

Toyo 45A
    75mm Fuji
    I'll have to find my notebook to look up the rest of the info. It was shot on either Tri-X or Arista 200.

Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why are you shooting images like this with a 75mm, it's 150mm-210mm Territory.

You need good precision when in thee limited tonal range situations, I prefer a Spotmeter but can cope with a Lunasix or even a Lenigrad 4

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ill have to find my notes it may have been taken with my !35mm or 210mm. You're right my spotmeter would have been useful. I now have a new battery in it, and three spares.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get battery. Get light.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here in terms of criticism. Good light makes good pictures. Ask yourself what you are trying to say with your compositions. If you cannot answer that question definitively, it is doubtful your viewers will either. Why use a hammer to pound a nail if you don't know where the nail is?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hazardsg View Post
    Ill have to find my notes it may have been taken with my !35mm or 210mm.
    I'm pretty sure that was a reference by Ian to narrowing down subject matter to what's important (see post above).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was a reference by Ian to narrowing down subject matter to what's important (see post above).
    I hadn't really thought of it that way, but the most important decisions after deciding what to shoot is deciding on the edges (framing) of the composition. That becomes harder with wider-angle lenses. I guess most of my images (5x4) are shot with a 150mm lens, a smaller proportion with a 90mm a few with a 210mm and a very small number with a 65mm (or 75mm).

With a shot like the OP's posted I might use a Green filter to bring out detail in the ferns and moss, it's my favourite filter and about the only one I use these days.

shows the effects of a green filter on foliage which otherwise would much darker.

This one's essentially just rock but shows the importance of good exposure to make the most from what's actually quite a bleak landscape of an old lead-silver mine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to agree with Ian on this one. Using a filter of any color might have helped with the otherwise blandness of this photo, as well as more critical composition choice for lens focal length or shooting position. Whether to lighten or darken foliage is a personal choice, or maybe better to decide which would make the image pop more by shooting one of each.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is there something wrong with that image Steve?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I hadn't really thought of it that way...
    Yeah, sorry, that was a pretty insensitive assumption on my part. I was inappropriately attempting to buttress my own sharp-focus-fuzzy-subject point as the OP responded almost immediately. I broke my own self enforced forum rule of outright criticizing others' work, not knowing exactly what the OP was after. But I will always gadfly the rampant, poorly understood, and unnecessary use of filtration in B/W photography that plagues photo forums. That's not a critique of your pix posts, just a reminder that I don't believe filtration is a primary factor in the OPs interpretation of the scene.
    Last edited by ROL; 04-06-2014 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Yeah, sorry, that was a pretty insensitive assumption on my part. I was inappropriately attempting to buttress my own sharp-focus-fuzzy-subject point as the OP responded almost immediately. I broke my own self enforced forum rule of outright criticizing others' work, not knowing exactly what the OP was after. But I will always gadfly the rampant, poorly understood, and unnecessary use of filtration in B/W photography that plagues photo forums. That's not a critique of your pix posts, just a reminder that I don't believe filtration is a primary factor in the OPs interpretation of the scene.
    Actually I was agreeing with you So definitely no need to be sorry

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin