Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,463   Online: 846

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot more 6x6 than 35 mm and I never think about it.
    I have no problems at all composing square!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know. My first medium format camera was square format. I've tried to stay with the square format to simplify things. I crop sometimes, but I don't really think about it. I just consider the image area available to me on the ground glass and use what's there. If there's a distracting element, or something that sticks out, I just crop it later.
    It doesn't seem that important to me.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I learned to photograph with a Rolleiflex -- I love the square. Instead of a linear side-to-side (or vertical) eye movement across the image, the square encourages a circular eye movement. Wonderful to work with. But then I also like working with 4"x10" also.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love 6x6 but, living up here where in the main the landscapes are fairly flat, it is rather a challenge. Having said that, after messing with 6x9, 35mm and even 5x7, I still prefer 6x6.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I think the best advice I've received so far was Les McLean telling me to not be constrained by my viewfinder. I do shoot square in the landscape (although not for true vista type landscapes) and generally print square too, but since paying heed to Les' advice, I have opened up a new world of opportunities from my 6x6 negs - crop, crop, crop!
    I am with Leon. The square provides the opportunity to use any part of the image vertical or horizontal when printing. I seem to use either a square format camera or a panaromic. The common 4x5, 8x10 rectangle is boring to me.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Squares tend to be my preferred ratio for landscape and scenic. At least half of the landscapes and scenic shots that satisfied me were squares or close to square.

I do like 4:5, 5:7 and 6:7 and 6:8 for landscape & scenic, but these are all considerably squarer than 3:2.

Different strokes for different folks.... thank God we don't all think and shoot the same way.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that since we have binocular vision and our natural view is somewhat rectangular, it's natural to go rectangular for landscapes. For that reason, I bought a 645 camera...but I use my 6x6 Rolleicord more. Go figger.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I couldn't live without the square, picking out the abstract in the landscape. Placing things dead centre and looking for symmetry. I find the rectangle unbalanced!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love the square format and am always looking for inspiration. Here are two fine examples of the format: Josef Hoflehner http://www.josefhoflehner.com/ and Magnum photographer Peter Marlow http://www.petermarlow.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like so many others here, I have shot 6x6 since I got one of my first cameras back in 1960 and I print 95% of everything I shoot square as square... I feel more comfortable seeing that way from 40+ years of doing it... and when I have a boring 4x5 image, I often find that there is a great square image hiding in it.

When I do crop one of my 6x6 landscapes, I find that the most often crop is to a 3x6 image (2:1 L:W) which is a great landscape format for the right image. I think that a 6x12 back for the 4x5 would be a great addition to the kit, for that reason (although I know that I can crop a 6x12 image out of a 4x5 negative...).

But the fact is, I would still mostly shoot and print square.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin