Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,480   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been shooting in one form or another for a living for over 20 years now, and have never let the name of the film sway me for what I use it for, most of the time I use Velvia and Provia for landscape shooting, but never worried about Portra being a portrait film, the people who look at the images, not often do they question what film it was shot on, I have also used NPC for landscape stuff, in fact one of my biggest sellers on print film was taken in Glacier National Park at about 6 Am in the morning with mist on the lake, it was shot on NPS, and has a very muted smoky look to it with the mountains in the background..don't ever let "What" a film was marketed as, stop you from shooting it for other stuff, also, I use to shoot gold 100 for alot of things and it worked out quite well, and the Ultra films seem to be pretty good as well for a wide variety of things.

Good luck on your search, eventually we all find that special film that works perfect for what we are doing.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    One other thing is printing. There is NO lab within 150 miles that is capable of making nice ilfochromes/cibachrome from a slide.
    And contact sheets is impossible too.
    Thats soo freakin unpractical. It is undoable.
    There is no lab within 2500+ miles of where I live that can do these. There are plenty of reputable labs that can do this work for you.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak Ultra 100 and now Fuji Pro 160S for small landscapes - the Pro 160S is available in 220 and 4x5. Follow the link below to 'Garden Notebooks' for examples of both, but mostly 100 UC, some NPH and some Ultra 400.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    There is no lab within 2500+ miles of where I live that can do these. There are plenty of reputable labs that can do this work for you.
    sorry, but that makes no sence to me. I am sure I am missing the point because I don;t speak english to well.... but there are not enough labs that can do that for me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry, but that makes no sence to me. I am sure I am missing the point because I don;t speak english to well.... but there are not enough labs that can do that for me...
    Game,

Where do you live? Robert lives in Hawaii, so he has to mail everything to the US mainland to get his work done..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for that link, interesting.
    I'll be checking some more film types out these days.

Think I'll end up selecting a silky film with low contrast when I feel the need to shoot that way.
    and one with more saturation and contrast.

Right now its down to:

kodak nc160 and fuji nps for silky low contrast.
    kodak uc100 and fuji reala for more saturation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ah, he means that it's very hard for him so for me it shouldn't be that difficult. He's right. I live in the netherlands. There are labs in my country, and since i's a small country it's never more than a 3 hour drive....

BUT, i am a student, don;t have a car, can;t afford to wait so long before havin results. Can't pay what they charge. It's simply not possible to get decent prints from slides here in a normal way.

I mean, with negatives I go to my lab, and pick up a contact sheet within a hour, done.

Am I right or not?
    Best regards Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ah, he means that it's very hard for him so for me it shouldn't be that difficult. He's right. I live in the netherlands. There are labs in my country, and since i's a small country it's never more than a 3 hour drive....

BUT, i am a student, don;t have a car, can;t afford to wait so long before havin results. Can't pay what they charge. It's simply not possible to get decent prints from slides here in a normal way.

I mean, with negatives I go to my lab, and pick up a contact sheet within a hour, done.

Am I right or not?
    Best regards Sam
    One of the reasons that it is a good idea to put down your location in your profile, it makes it easier for people to help you. There are several members here from the Netherlands, that could probably recommend a good lab.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the work done with slides here in the states is done with a scanner and then printed "wet" in a lab. It is a hybrid process which uses the dreaded "d" word, so I can't bring myself to say it. Slides are very nice for landscape color and there is a great variety of films available. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey game
    why are you looking on the net
    try looking at your own neg files
    ie try different films for yourself, there are plenty to choose from

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin