Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,342   Online: 959

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

IS there a good professional film for landscape???

Hi everyone,
    I have been looking all over the internet for a good professional color negative film for landscape, but I can't find it.
    I have been using Kodak's portra vc in 35mm version, and just shot a 120 roll of portra Nc with my new 6x7.

I shoot artpictures, always landscapes/cityscapes. I don't need my photo's to be extremely colorish. I just want them to be corresponding to what I see.

Portra obviousy is made for portraits. At my artschool everyone is using portra.... But portrait is not what I am shooting.
    Anyone any ideas for a film? evything is welcome, also any other comments on portra.

Best regards Sam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What don't you like about portra for landscapes?
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reala works good for landscape, I have always used one of the various portra films for my landscapes, but I know alot of people who swear by Reala, I have also used Agfa optima, but that is now a moot point, unless you can find some on ebay or in a store somewhere, it is hard to judge what your eyes see in color..My favorite was the Portra VC, but I have not shot color print for a couple of years...

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Portra is a nice film for many purposes, if you need a negative film. There aren't too many options out there in medium format, so why not invest in a roll of Portra 160 NC, VC, UC, Fuji NPS, NPC, and any other relevant options, run some tests with a color chart and grey card and with the subjects you like to shoot, and make some contact sheets to compare them? Don't make comparisons based on machine prints, which will "correct" the images and make differences between films less apparent.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks so far for te post. Always helpfull. I will check out reala (is that a profilm?)

To furder explain where I am standing. I like portra. I used to shoot kodak gold and all those really rubbish, excuse me, film. Since I loaded my camera with professional film I'll never go back.
    I have an extended period of night shooting behind me, and used 35mm portra VC. I shot extreme lighting situations, and portra VC gave me saturated results. BUT portra still is a portrait film, for use with people.
    I now did a series of foggy morning fiels of grass, I do like the results, but they are very silky. No sign of a dark tone.
    I do like it, but feel that there must be a film made for landscape. And I like to know what film that is.

(the pictures also have warm shade, but I think that caused by my old lens...)

I like cold colours and not the yellow ones.

Is there more besides Reala??

Thanks again, Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would suggest Fuji Provia 100F; most landscape professionals use transparency films.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    To furder explain where I am standing. I like portra. I used to shoot kodak gold and all those really rubbish, excuse me, film. Since I loaded my camera with professional film I'll never go back.
    I have an extended period of night shooting behind me, and used 35mm portra VC. I shot extreme lighting situations, and portra VC gave me saturated results. BUT portra still is a portrait film, for use with people.
    I now did a series of foggy morning fiels of grass, I do like the results, but they are very silky. No sign of a dark tone.
    I do like it, but feel that there must be a film made for landscape. And I like to know what film that is.
    Are you saying that Portra is too low contrast for your tastes for landscape?

Dean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A lot of color landscape shooters use transparency films like Provia 100F and Velvia (of various flavors) or their Ektachrome counterparts, like E100 or E100SW, etc. That means printing Ilfochrome or digitally in general (or with an interneg, but that usually means losing the saturation of transparency film).

But of course there are exceptions, like Joel Meyerowitz, who I am fairly sure shoots neg film, and it's really a matter of taste. The film doesn't have to be called "Landsca" to be a landscape film.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm thanks everyone for the comments!

I think I should not be to offended by the term portrait indeed.
    My taste is not general. It depends on the situation and what I like to tell with my pictures.
    I in fact really like to slikyness of NC.
    BUT i want the possibility of chossing for something hard and contrasty if I feel like it, and don;t know what film to use for that.

I indeed did slides before using portra and have made a photo or two that were great in my book. I remember a snow lanscape with one red three.
    ektachrome 50iso, did a tremendous job on that one.

But I became crazy of slides when shooting at night. I exposed for 15 minutes and still I got nothing. So I made the switch, and with negatives I can estimate all light situations at night way better with it.

One other thing is printing. There is NO lab within 150 miles that is capable of making nice ilfochromes/cibachrome from a slide.
    And contact sheets is impossible too.
    Thats soo freakin unpractical. It is undoable.

Well, let the tread continue, Hope for more responses.
    for slides I know I like ektachrome.
    For negatives, I like portra NC/VC, but am wondering about alternatives...

Names that come to mind right now are:

fuji 160s / 160c, fuji reala, kodak supra

Thanks Sam

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are looking for a film that's slightly more muted then Konica might suit you. I found it to be less warm than Fuji Superia. Agfa is similar but alas both will soon be things of the pastalthough some stocks of both should still be available.

Having said that, I was going to refer you to shots that Huggyviking posted in one of the galleries. It was Fuji Superia but there were the most desatured shots I had seen from a Fuji film. I liked the effect but I cannot find them again in the galleries. I think I asked how he's achieved the effect. Maybe if he reads this he will respond

Pentaxuser

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin